A Ride Into Town


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
January 20th 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yawn...stretch…no clock in site. There is nothing like waking up to the sounds of the Pacific and watching your bedroom curtains dance with the ocean breeze…tis’my awakening the last few mornings. I have been sent adrift to an island of relaxation.

Gene and I rented bikes again and headed about five miles into town. Along our journey, I noted the above-ground burial plots of the deceased; as in New Orleans, the dead are buried above the ground due to the high water table. The islanders of Rarotonga appear better-off financially than the Tahitians, but are perhaps just more efficient with their time and income. Even the dogs have meat on their bones here and I have yet to see a stray. The homes are of better build and the landscapes better kept. The island itself, as most tropical islands, is lush and full of life. The afternoons are sunny and warm, the nights almost cool with a calming breeze.

The town itself is not large. Like most towns, there are shops, cafés, gas stations and grocery stores. The prices here are not much more competitive than Tahiti when it comes to toiletries. I bought a bottle of Herbal Essences conditioner, just under 7 ounces, for $7 NZD - at least the US dollar gives us a little more bang for our buck here. Calls to the U.S. from Rarotunga are $4.50 per minute without a calling card. However, a $50 NZD calling card will give us only 15 minutes when calling the States.

The trek home always seems longer than the journey out. I’ve never been one with a great tolerance for heat. Riding against a headwind is of course no help. Upon our return, Gene stopped to chat with our Irish friends, Stanley and Hazel. He thereafter informed me that the couple had made dinner reservations for four “at this wonderful little restaurant up the road about 4 miles or so.” We were invited to join them if we had nothing else to do. Gene and I grinned as both of our minds drifted to what lie in our future ahead and the various friendships we would make along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



23rd January 2007

Just another day in paradise
The sparkles, the smiles, relaxation is setting in. Doesn't everyone want to wake to the sounds of the ocean. =) I know I do. xoxoxo, your gang in South Carolina
23rd January 2007

i recognize that shirt...
still gonna import those and make a killing?

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb