A town like Alice


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
July 19th 2014
Published: July 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Alice Springs dirty, dusty, smelly and dying for a shower! Nine days since our last one! Mum and dad were amazed at how much bigger Alice Springs had become since they were last here. The Big 4 was as you would expect - wonderful with fantastic resources, but boy you sure do pay for it!

The visitor information centre was the first stop and we made our plans for the next four days we were here. On the list was Redbank Gorge, Ormiston Gorge, Standley Chasm, Ochre Pits, Simpsons Gap just to start with.

day one: Redbank Gorge.

Redbank Gorge is a beautiful place. We did a walk up around the gorge and through the creek bed. It was a really nice walk and we were lucky enough to see a dingo drinking in the water hole. The red of the rocks can't be described. It is such a beautiful, vivid red, especially when the sun hits the rocks.

Ormiston Gorge was our next stop and yet another beautiful walk through a dry river bed lined with gorgeous white ghost gums. We were dwarved by the height of the towering red cliffs surrounding us. It was funny to see a life buoy hanging on a branch near the water hole with a sign saying "for emergency use only" I suppose in heavy rain the gorge probably fills quite quickly!

Day two: Simpsons Gap and Ellery Big Hole

Simpsons Gap was just beautiful. Again a walk along the river bed surrounded by towering red cliff faces and white ghost gums. Just beautiful.

Ellery Big Hole was especially beautiful and probably my favourite spot. It was only a short walk, 1km return however, the reward of the water hole at the end meant it would have been worth it even if the walk was much longer. A picture tells a thousand words so I guess I will just leave the pictures of this special place to do the talking.

Day Three; The Ochre Pits. These pits are a wonderful example of an area that the indigenous people have used for many generations to collect the ochre that they paint themselves with for special ceremonies.

Alice Springs is a really nice outback town and we really enjoyed our stay here.

We left to head out to Palm Valley. Dad needed a few repairs done to the car so he put it in early in the morning, we took the kids to mcdonalds and then met up with them and our journey continued.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DingoDingo
Dingo

This Dingo came down for a drink at the waterhole while we were there.
Redbank GorgeRedbank Gorge
Redbank Gorge

These birds were living around the water hole.
Roger just loved it! Roger just loved it!
Roger just loved it!

For those who are wondering. Roger is the golden bird. It's a long story behind Roger. I won't go into it. Darren you will understand! Lol
MumMum
Mum

Ellery Big Hole
Mum and DadMum and Dad
Mum and Dad

Ellery Big Hole


20th July 2014

Greetings from the Blue Mountains
Loved the picture of Olivia. What a beautiful girl she is. Just like her mum and grandma !! Thanks for the news. It is always good to see what you are doing. Most enjoyable for me. Love to you all from Christine xx
22nd July 2014

Love from Hulst
We enjoy your stories and beautiful photos. Looks like you have a wonderful time!! Lots of love. Etienne and Roos
1st August 2014

Beautiful
Your photos look absolutely beautiful, almost looks like something out of a Lord of The Rings Movies, doesn't look real!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb