Australian Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
January 19th 2013
Published: January 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Aussie OpenAussie OpenAussie Open

Aussie Open - Outer Courts at Sunset, Amazing
So my turn to do the blog, and lots to get through as we have done so much during our time in Australia. It seems an age ago since Thailand but the memories of our departure to Australia still linger pretty vividly. Now bear in mind that Kate has been to Australia before unfortuantly it seems she had completely forgotten that time spent here. We arrived at the airport nice and early and walked up to our Singapore airlines check in desk to be told we needed a visa to enter Australia which we did not have! We quickly sprinted to the nearest internet cafe to apply, the application was instant but we did not know whether we had been granted entry. On return to the checkout desk the bad news came through I had been denied entry! At this point i was as usuall frantic while Kate was acting all sheepish after forgetting this detail. Luckily Singapore airlines were amazing and rang through to the Australians and cleared up the mistake allowing me to enter the country with moments to spare before boarding.

We arrived in Sydney on Christmas Eve morning on a glorious hot summers day. We arrived
Fish and Chips at Watsons BayFish and Chips at Watsons BayFish and Chips at Watsons Bay

Best outside Whitby and Grimsby
at our hostel to find it literally right next to Coogee Beach which was packed with Aussies getting ready to celebrate Christmas. We quickly checked into our hostel not noticing how disgusting it was (more on that later) and quickly got our swimming stuff on and headed to the beach. I can honestly say in Britain ive never feared for my life while swimming in the sea but here was a completely different kettle of fish. The waves were so powerfull at one point i got hit on the back of the head by a crashing one which nearly knocked me out, i was then tumbled around by the wave into the bed and couldnt get to my feet, I honestly thought i was going to drown. Anyway the first day was amazing, exactly what i expected from Australia, unfortuantly Christmas Day was far more British, it rained all day which meant we had to stay in the hosatel all day. Although the food was good that day its here we started to notice how grotty the hostel was and how young and loutish the majority of the residents were (Mainly British). There was also a number of crazy (Alcoholics) long termers in the hostel who were very creepy. We did meet some nice people though, two British girls called Michaela and Dana and two Belgian lads called Birt and Nik who made the hostel expereince bareable.

Boxing day we spent on Bondi beach walking 10 km there and back to burn off our massive Christmas Dinner (not massive, missed Christmas DInner Mum). Weather was great from then on till we left Sydney which we spent seeing the sites such as the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge and The Rocks as well as visting many of Sydney's beaches at Manly, Bronte, Tamarama and Watsons bay where i had the best fish and chips ive had outside of Whitby.

One of our best days in Sydney was the sports day arranged by the Hostel between our hostel and another one at Bondi. We met half way and played a game of rounders as well as having a BBQ and free drinks. I obviously got overcompetitive and was the last man in for our hostel running 7 ful rounders, however the real fun started after the bbq ended. Only four of us were left Myself, Kate, Birt and a crazy american called Lucas. After far too much Goon On some peoples part (Lucas) we started to walk back to our hostel it was at this point Lucas decided to bite Kates finger, run at locals trying to rugby tackle them and generally run about screaming, it ended up with all of us having a late night dip at Coogee Beach and me having to save Lucas from drifting away/Drowning. We never saw Lucas again after this night which was a pity he was very funny and a real Character.

The final big event in Sydney was the fireworks and New Years Eve. We started queing at 10 Am in the morning and finally got sat down by midday to wait for the fireworks at midnight. Unfortuantly i had got heat stroke from the day before after going to watch the Sydney Derby Big Bash Cricket match and was already struggling by this point. It didnt help the temperature was about 36 degrees with no cloud cover. I spent most of the day under a tree struggling while our group were getting massively sunburnt. By the time the first fireworks came around at 9 i have to admit i was
Harbour BridgeHarbour BridgeHarbour Bridge

Me looking slightly Awkward
already thinking of bed. Although they were amazing and the ones at midnight were fantastic i have to say i dont think the waiting is quite worth the trouble, especially where we went in the Botanical Gardens where views were obstructed nearly everywhere by trees. We only got a good view of the bridge and fireworks near the bridge and down the river, we could not see the ones at the Opera House, I think if we go again we will pay and get on a boat in the harbour.

We then left Sydney and moved up the east coast to a small town called Port Macquarie on possibly the most uncomfortable bus ever. The aircon didnt work the driver was forever talking to us about every town we passed through and he crashed into the orning of a building in Newcastle breaking a Window on the bus. However when we got to our hostel in Port Macquarie we were pleasantly surprised. It was clean a little bit quirky and comfortable (Although no free breakfast or Wifi as promised, grr) The town itself was really nice with lots of little beaches and nice walks. We only spent one full
Queue for FireworksQueue for FireworksQueue for Fireworks

This is just a very small bit of it!
day here where we walked along the cliffs and beaches went for a dip in the sea at Flynns Beach and went to the Koala Sanctuary which was ace.

The next day we left on the greyhound again up to Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. When we got there our hostel pickup wasnt there so we had to make our own way there without knowing its location. Luckily some helpful locals pointed us in the right direction howver it wasnt a good start. Surfers Paradise can only be described as Skegvegas (Skegness) meets Costa Del Sol, and to be honest as a place was pretty souless. However the beach here was fantastic and sretched for miles and we were only here one day which was about enough. We also found decent food to eat out for under $10 which for Australia isnt bad, and was a nice change from spag bol or Sausage BBQ (Snag).

We then moved onto Brisbane for the next two days although we did not spend much time there in all honesty. The first day was spent getting our stuff sorted like much needed washing. The second we went to Australia Zoo which
The FireworksThe FireworksThe Fireworks

Amazing Spectacle even when suffering from Sun Stroke
was a great expereince, we got to get up close to roos, tasmanian devils and Koalas. We also got to see the fantastic crocodile show with Mrs Irwin and kids which was great. The whole day was pretty unforgettable and of course kate had to buy a cuddly crocodile toy which has been carted round Australia with us.

We then moved up from Brisbane to Hervey Bay to stay for one night before going to Fraser Island. Here we stayed at Flashpackers which was the best hostel we have stayed in and we also had a private room which was great after sharing with lots of 18 - 20 year olds for weeks, we also treated ourselves to a all you can eat Chinese Buffet (Thanks Kates Mum!!!) which tasted fantastic after a number of nights on Pot Noodle!

Fraser Island was probably my favourite place so far in Australia. We spent three days been driven aronud by Mike in what can only be described as a tank meets bus. The roads were basically sand dunes and very bumpy, everyday we had to go over what was called "The Rollercoaster" to get anywhere from our resort which was
Surfers ParadiseSurfers ParadiseSurfers Paradise

After Suns troke we both bought hats, looking cool!
an experience in itself. Once past this though we found one of the most amazing places ive ever seen. We visited a number of freshwater lakes which were some of the most awe inspiring places ive ever been, we also visited freshwater creeks and a place called the champagne pools where sea water washed into rock pools that you could swim in. We also did a number of hikes around the island through bushland, rainforest and sand dunes. It has to be the most diverse place ive ever been. What made it even better was that all food was included (No Cooking!) and we met a really nice couple from Slovenia who were our room mates for the three days and whom we beat at pool two nights running flying the flag fro Britain abroard! We saw a lot of wildlife while we there as well including the Dingo which as far as im concerned is just a stray dog although ive been told differently. We also saw massive lizards and a flying bug the size of a bird that landed on our pool table, cue much screaming from Kate and the Slovenian girl. I really didnt want to leave
Australia ZooAustralia ZooAustralia Zoo

Something big enough to fit my big head in
Fraser Island and there seemed to be loads left to see however after three days we headed back to Hervey Bay for one more night at Flashpackers. We then headed back to Brisbane for one more night before flying to Melbourne.

We arrived in Melbourne two days before the Melbourne Open started the first day we spent settlnig into our hostel which was a very grand affair situated in the old Salvation army building. The next day i took Kate on a tour of Melbourne that i cobbled together from books and internet reviews. We took in such sites as the MCG, the Tennis Area, Federation Square, Southside Wharf, Various arcades and backstreet cafes and bars. Kates review of my tour was very informative but too much walking and not enough snack breaks. The next day was action packed in the morning we did the tour of the MCG and autralian sport museum which was great, i even got to go on all the interactive kids games such as virtual reality aussie rules and cricket fielding game.

We then hot footed over to the tennis to the Rod Lever Arena (Centre Court) To watch Leighton Hewitt get knocked
Crocodile ShowCrocodile ShowCrocodile Show

Dont get too close!
out, but not before watching Heather Watson on the Outer courts. The next two days we headed back to the tennis watching Andy Murray, Rodger Federer, Heather Watson, Gasquet and various others. Kate absolutely loved it and i have to say i had a good time too even if Murray won in straight sets!

The weather in Melbourne had been just about bearbale at 26 - 27 degrees compared to the 36 to 40 degrees we had had in Brisbane and Fraser Island. However our last full day in Melbourne the temperature soared to 42 degrees. Luckily we headed to the coast to do the Great Ocean Road tour where the temperatures here were a chilly 22 degrees in places. The sites on the road were absolutely fantastic, we stopped at a number of beaches, a lighthouse and the only place where we have seen koalas in the wild where there hundreds of them, we even got to see a wild Kangaroo hop across infront of the bus. We ended the tour at the 12 apostles (Australia's version of the Needles) and a gorge with a secluded beach which we stayed for an hour soaking in the sun which
Kate and KangarooKate and KangarooKate and Kangaroo

Kate didnt like
was pretty hot by then. The only thing that slightly marred the day was Kates travel sickness as she had not imagined a coach tour would have lots of driving in it, and the millions of flies towards the end of the tour. All in all though a great day.

We then took the longest bus journey in history from Melbourne to Sydney of approx 14 hours. Kate is still not speaking to me after this as a flight would take only 1 hour, but im sure she will get over it before we leave for New Zealand in 2 days time.

We have both had a great time in Australia, i would love to come back some day and see some of the other sites it barely feels like we have scratched the surface. Id also love to come back to Melbourne which is one of the nicest cities i have visited in the world. However im quite glad to be ending our hosteling part of the journey as its a bit of pot luck what you get. Next blog entry is Kates New Zealand here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Me and KangarooMe and Kangaroo
Me and Kangaroo

Whos this giant!
Fraser Island LakesFraser Island Lakes
Fraser Island Lakes

The only thing that ruins this picture is me!
Fraser Island WalksFraser Island Walks
Fraser Island Walks

One of the biggest trees on the island. Took 6 people to go round it.
England Vs SloveniaEngland Vs Slovenia
England Vs Slovenia

England Shows the rest of Europe whos boss
Australian OpenAustralian Open
Australian Open

Centre court watching Murray. Cmon Tim!
MelbourneMelbourne
Melbourne

Coolcity with lots of little backstreet cafes
MCGMCG
MCG

Not as good as Lords
Great Ocean RoadGreat Ocean Road
Great Ocean Road

What a View.
Lazy KoalaLazy Koala
Lazy Koala

They never do anything!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb