Noosa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
April 22nd 2011
Published: May 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Noosa with a large amount of rain falling on us.  It really didn't stop at all.  We were staying at the Nomads hostel which is pretty good, there is a lovely pool and we are about 10 minutes from the beach.

In the first night we spent it in the bar in the hostel, a pretty good laugh and met some cool people including a couple of Australians who were up here working.  They were from the Gold Coast and didn't really like where they came from.  I can see why (see my Surfers Paradise post).

The next day the weather severely cleared up and we went down to the beach which was great.  It was probably one of the hottest days of my holiday so far.  We had some boogie boards from the hostel so we were on those and the waves were massive as was the current.  The life guards were constantly on the PA system and telling swimmers to keep within the flags and the current was very very strong. The sweep, as they call it, is the flow of water moving from right to left across the beach, and this was really strong walking against it was very hard and swimming against it well you might as well forget it.

The evening was spent round in another person's room with about 16 other people, playing guitar and singing songs till the small hours.

The third day was pretty much the same as the second, all day on the beach.  The current was a lot less this time though which helped for swimming.  The evening was just chilled out and easy going.  After the two nights before I needed it.

The fourth day was Australia Zoo day.  The zoo made famous by the exploits of the Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin.  When I was in the UK I kind of felt he was a bit of a mad man catching crocodiles and venomous snakes, but actually when you are in the zoo you realize how much he has done for these creatures and how totally devoted to them he was.  The zoo is a family run affair with his wife and two children running the crocodile show for all to see.

It's a pretty impressive place and if you are going anywhere near there definitely take the time out to do it.  We saw amongst other creatures - crocodiles, snakes, red pandas, koala bears, kangaroos (which you could hand feed), wallabies and much more.  From what began as a small enterprise in 1992 is now a huge business spread over a very large area.  A great day out.

Photos to follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb