Freemantle and a Day at the Races


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 11th 2006
Published: February 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It’s another hot Australian day. Alan and I start out the morning by taking the ship’s free shuttle service into the seaside town of Freemantle. The city is full of preserved, historic buildings. A great photo opportunity has been ruined because the city also allowed the first floors to be altered to accommodate the many shops, stores and restaurants. We walk around for awhile but it is very hot and the merchandise resembles any other tourist location. We go back to the ship to cool off because this afternoon we are off to the races.

Radisson has invited all passengers to a day of horse racing at the Ascot Racecourse in Perth. It’s hot when we board the bus. Our driver decides to take the long way to Perth so that we can see more of the city. We appreciate his thoughtfulness, and it is an attractive city, but the ride is uncomfortably hot.

When we arrive at the race grounds, we follow a guide into a large white tent. Tables are covered in white cloths overlaid with turquoise or raspberry colored cloths. The chairs are draped in white and tied with a colorful sash. Each table has a floral centerpiece. Overhead, the ventilation system manages to push air around in a futile attempt to cool the hot tent. An Australian combo entertains us as waiters pass around drinks and canapés.

Alan and I walk out to the rail to take a look at the course. Then, we go back inside to the tent to attempt to understand the Australian betting process. We should have gone to the betting lesson Radisson provided last night before dinner. Alan makes a blind choice and gets help placing his bet.

It’s time to walk back out to the rail to cheer for our horse. A gust of wind lifts Alan’s hat off his head and onto the track. He scrambles to find someone to notify because the race is about to start. Over the loudspeaker we hear, “There is a hat on the field. The race will be delayed.” A security guard jumps over the railing and retrieves the hat while the crowd cheers. The hat is now firmly on Alan’s head, secured by a cord tied tightly underneath his chin. The race begins, horses thunder by and our horse wins!

Next up is the Seven Sea Voyager Race. Alan chooses three more horses and two of them win. I am thrilled with our $30 winnings. We had come to the race planning to bet (and loose) the Australian money that we had left. Now, we have no choice but to exchange it on the ship (at a very poor exchange rate) since these are our last few hours in Australia.

We return back to the ship in the upstairs of a double-decker bus. It is too hot for the air conditioner to keep us cool. I get off the bus sweaty, hot and gulping for fresh air like everyone else on the bus.

After cleaning up and cooling off, Alan and I go to the Observation Lounge. We enjoy a glass of champagne and watch our sail back out to sea. The show tonight is an Australian singer, Rachel Beck. Alan, exhausted from his successful betting day, goes to bed after dinner. I meet Vicki in the theatre to watch the show. I’m glad I did. Rachel gives a terrific performance.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 22; qc: 147; dbt: 0.154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb