Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 4th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A long, sandy beach backed up by the looming Melbourne skyline is our breakfast view this morning. We are docked at Station Pier in Port Melbourne on the shore of Port Phillip Bay, a huge horseshoe shaped bay. Originally, Voyager was scheduled to stop at Phillip Island last night for a tour of the fairy penguins. The Captain decided that conditions were too rough for many of the older and physically challenged passengers to enjoy the tour. So, he headed straight for Melbourne instead. Now, the tour will be tonight and include a two hour bus ride in both directions. We weigh our options and decide to keep our plans to tour Melbourne.

Once the ship is cleared, we meet Vicki, Tyler, Stephanie and Phil at the gangplank for a private tour. Our guide, Anna, greets us at the terminal gate. Our goal is to see as much of Melbourne and the surrounding area as we can.

We decide to start with the countryside first while the weather is still cloudy and cool. On the way, Anna drives us through parts of Melbourne, considered to be the cultural capital of Australia. We pass by neighborhoods of historic homes. Their porches are decorated with iron work salvaged from the ballast of ships. Low fences separate flower-filled front gardens from the sidewalk.

We drive by the sports precinct. The Rod Laver Tennis Stadium, cricket fields, football fields, indoor facilities…it’s all here, easily accessed by public transportation. Our tour continues through more suburbs and on to the Yarra Valley. On the way, Anna entertains us with her commentary and Aussie humor.

We cross over some low hills and enter the Yarra Valley. It feels good to see trees and grass after so many days of blue-water views on the ship. Sheep and cows graze on the rolling hills. Vineyards begin to appear. It’s almost harvest time and nets cover the ripening grapes, a protection from hungry birds.

Our first stop is at the Healesville Sanctuary to visit Australian wildlife in its natural habitat. It feels like a walk in the woods only we’re surrounded by kangaroos and koalas instead of deer. In some cases, we walk through the animals’ enclosures. I never thought I’d come this close to a wallaby. We stop by the wombat exhibit and watch as a recently rescued wombat plays in his enclosure with a wildlife officer. Soon the wombat will be too old (and mean) to play like this.

On the way back to Melbourne, we stop in Healesville for a short walk on the shop-lined sidewalks. In a parking area behind the shops, a flea market is in progress. We pass through the stalls of crafts, jewelry, flowers and vegetables. It could be a flea market almost anywhere in the United States. Anna buys fresh vegetables to take home to her family.

In Melbourne, we stop at Olmecs for a quick lunch. The restaurant is crowded with Sunday patrons enjoying brunch. Back in the van, Anna continues our drive through downtown Melbourne. We stop at Queen Victoria Market, a huge flea market. It reminds me of a Moroccan bazaar only the floor is paved, wide, straight and clean. The amount and variety of merchandise is overwhelming.

After showing us the important Melbourne landmarks, Anna stops in the heart of the city near a group of modern buildings. They don’t fit in with the cathedral and historic train station across the street. We discover what appears to be a Russian folk festival. Elaborately dressed singers and dancers take their turns performing on stage. A large flat screen on the side of the building broadcasts the show to a crowded plaza.

Returning from our tour, we clean up and head for the Observation Lounge where we join friends and relax with a tall, cool drink. Then, it’s on to a Mediterranean dinner in La Verandah.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb