Big Trouble Little Australia (Part 2)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving Melbourne I met up with a few Neighbours.

We hired a camper van which, unlike all the cool ones with paintings of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones on the side, had bright pictures of jelly beans. Now that we looked like idiots we headed off, first stop Byron Bay, the beachside hippie town (that's if by "hippie" you mean "person with dreadlocks").

Next we came to Surfers Paradise, a glitzy beachside (surprisingly enough) town punctuated with skyscrapers, and with the atmosphere of an American resort.

The Whitsunday Islands at Airlie Beach were a highlight. Snorkelling was great fun, and the beaches pristine- the sand was so fine it squeaked under our feet.

Other places we visited included Gosford, Noosa, Innisfail, Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation and Cairns.

Australia is a fascinating country due to the sheer variations in land and people. The southern side of the east coast is very cosmopolitan and ethnically diverse, but as one moves north the stereotypical Aussie blokes and sheilas start to show themselves. There are a lot of "Crikey"s in the style of Steve Irwin, may the crocodile gods spare his soul. Whereas in the south there are cities of espresso drinkers, go further north and cane toad racing is more the flavour.

At times there are lush, fertile surrounds, with fields of sugar cane as far as the eye can see; and at others there are thirsty, arid lands with dried-up rivers. The sun is the only constant.

The people of Australia are generally pretty laid-back and patient. The sun must play a big part in this- everything seems fine when the sun is out! Everyone enjoys taking the piss, and of course this is usually done beer in hand.

The main social problem is related to the Aboriginals, who are quite often dismissed as drunken wasters. This sort of attitude, combined with poor resource allocation, and the fact that there has been no official apology for the genocide of the past, means that this legacy will continue for the forseeable future. It is a viscious circle: The more people discriminate against the Aboriginals, the poorer the Aboriginals get, and the more social problems they have. The more social problems they have, the poorer they get, and the more (white) people discriminate against them.

However, Australia is a country full of positives, and it is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. I only saw the more built-up east coast, but I will certainly go back one day to fill in the gaps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb