Through the Outback...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 2nd 2007
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This has got to be one of the most epic road trips one could take in Australia. Together with my friend Laura, who I met traveling up the east coast (and is from Victoria), we drove from Cairns right through the very centre of Oz and down to Melbourne, a total of 6236km in only 10.5 days. We left on a hot, tropical Queensland day and drove through torrential downpour, stifling desert heat, warm coastal summer, finally arriving in Melbourne to be met by cold, autumn-like weather. I don't know where else in the world one can experience such a wide range of climates in so short a period.




The first few days were pretty much all driving, with very little of note to report. I didn't find the interior of Queensland all that exciting, and we didn't have time to explore anything off the highway. On the third day we crossed into the Northern Territory and immediately the terrain changed, although not at all how I expected. It looked like the Canadian prairie, although I don't think it always does. It had begun raining the day before, and it didn't stop until Alice Springs, flooding across
Uluru SunsetUluru SunsetUluru Sunset

Enjoying a beautiful sunset in (Canadian) style!
the highway in many places. The only exciting sight before Alice was the Devil's Marbles, a collection of gigantic granite boulders strewn on the side of the Stuart Highway.



After a quick overnight in Alice Springs, we headed south for the highlights of the Red Center - namely Watarrka (King's Canyon), Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and of course, Uluru (Ayer's Rock). Words don't really do any of these sights justice, and the pictures can't convey the majesty of standing next to these behemoths. After having been there, I can honestly say that a trip to Australia is not complete unless you have spent a few days exploring this area. On the full map of Aus you might get the impression that they are all close together, but you are only being deceived by the vastness of the country. Uluru and Kata Tjuta are only 50km apart, but it is a full 350km to Watarrka from Uluru. I neglected to climb Uluru, as even though they still allow it, there are signs everywhere pleading you not to climb all over their sacred mountain. Frankly, I find it ridiculous that they would still let people do it if that is the way they feel, but with two more full days of driving through the Outback, I decided it unwise to tempt fate.



Heading south, the only town before the coast is Coober Pedy. The town itself is nothing to look at, but a large number of its residents actually live underground! The hostel room we had was 6.5 metres below the surface, and is without a doubt the sweetest hostel I've yet to stay in. From there we spent a couple of relaxing days in Adelaide at a campground right on the ocean. Adelaide is quite a nice city, but there isn't a whole to see or do. The next day took us through Grampians National Park, and it was a relief to finally see some mountains again. Granted, these would not be termed anything more than foothills back home, but they certainly had the feel of real mountains. The last day of our van odyssey took us along the Great Ocean Road. The first half seems to have a lookout point every few kilometres, and we were well sick of stopping by the time we got through it. The second half is just a nice
Yulara SkylineYulara SkylineYulara Skyline

Just after the sunset in Yulara (Ayer's Rock Resort)
drive along on a narrow road squished between cliffs and ocean, interspersed with several beautiful (and no doubt pricey) towns. The last highlight was the famed Bell's Beach, the setting for the final scene of one of the finest films ever screened - that's right, Point Break! Unfortunately, there was no Bodie, no Johnny Utah, no 50 year storm, and consequently, no swell.


When I arrived in Melbourne, I was thoroughly worn out from the road. The first few days I just chilled out, not even bothering to go downtown. Once I recovered, I started exploring the city. Melbourne doesn't really have the sights that Sydney does, and the downtown core is not very big especially given the population of around 4 million. It does, however, have a nice feel to it, and I had no difficulty filling my time for the week there. The weather had the decency to improve, and it was hot again by the time I left. My only disappointment was that the Aussie rules football season had yet to start, so I may have to return.


Well, it's off to the airport now...





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Grampians Nat'l ParkGrampians Nat'l Park
Grampians Nat'l Park

The little town of Hall's Gap, nestled in the mountains of a nat'l park.
Twelve ApostlesTwelve Apostles
Twelve Apostles

The Twelve Apostles on the Great Ocean Road (you can't even see them all from the lookout).
MelbourneMelbourne
Melbourne

The edge of downtown Melbourne from St Kilda beach.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb