8 Roxby Downs -our visit with family


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
July 10th 2021
Published: July 16th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Not far to go now.Not far to go now.Not far to go now.

For those who call Roxby home, this is a sure indicator that you are almost home.
We continued to head south towards Pimba, after which we would leave the Stuart Highway and head past Woomera and then get to Roxby Downs. Before leaving the main highway, we stopped in at Lake Hart … for a coffee break – like many others. The Ghan train skirts this beautiful spot on its way north or south so we crossed the line and walked down to the water’s edge to inspect the ruins of what appeared to be a salt mining operation long gone.

Arriving in Roxby Downs we parked and abandoned our caravan in the Roxby Downs Caravan Park and headed over to T and Z’s place …. with that brisket. It was so good to finally hand it over and not to have to worry about how we were going to keep it safe.



A few days of sleeping in a bed in which you could stretch out your legs. Yippee! A few days of Hollywood showers. Yippee! A chance to wash all of our clothes, sheets and towels. Yippee! A chance to just catch up and enjoy our son and daughter-in-law’s company and hospitality as well as have fun with Luna, their Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Yippee!



We were looked after royally. Both T and Z are wonderful cooks so we were served plenty of delicious food. Almost from the moment we arrived that brisket was also getting royal treatment. Overnight a salt rub and then in the morning into the smoker for a long slow all day of mopping and smoking. Meanwhile Z made a fresh loaf of Rye sour dough and finally some salads. OMG it was an amazing combination of flavours.



The final night we were treated to takeaway form next door. The neighbour runs a food truck serving food from her homeland of Laos. How convenient! Again, the food was delicious and a no fuss effort for anyone.



We borrowed T and Z’s vacuum cleaner and spent an hour or so at the caravan doing a thorough clean out of the bull-dust we had accumulated, and getting things sorted so we could leave without too much fuss on Wednesday morning.



With T at work, Zoe took us for a drive to Woomera to the Woomera Heritage Centre Aircraft and Missile Park. It was fun walking amongst the models. Seeing the actual size of objects helped to explain the extreme cost of them. Pressed for time, the increasing wind and an approaching rain band made for a hasty exit. A place worth visiting again.



All too soon, our time in Roxby was over and it was time to move on again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

A dinner to die for. A dinner to die for.
A dinner to die for.

Slow smoked brisket, fresh rye sou dough, steamed corn, coleslaw and green salad.
We’ve seen a few of these in the outback.We’ve seen a few of these in the outback.
We’ve seen a few of these in the outback.

Didn’t realise they were still used.
Looking for the GhanLooking for the Ghan
Looking for the Ghan

Is it sneaking up behind me?


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb