Hawker - The Coldest Place on Earth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
June 30th 2021
Published: July 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday evening the Burra Caravan Park was bursting at the seams. By 10am the following morning it was pretty much empty. Caravans passing in the night. Some on their way south after weeks holidaying in SA … many Victoria and others like us, just beginning the adventure north.

It was a beautiful morning. A little sun, a little fog, a bit of a chill and a lot of waiting, waiting, waiting. It’s good to know the economy is being stimulated and our taxes are being put to good use. Good thing we weren’t in a hurry. Thirty kilometres of road works near Mount Brian had us travelling at 25kp/h for much of the time alternating traffic on one lane. A pilot vehicle guided the moving traffic so there was no chance to crib. At least we had wind turbines, fog and highway workers to entertain us.

Next up it was either an early lunch in Orroroo, or a late lunch when we arrived at Hawker. The former won and so did the Corner Pub in Orroroo. Nice burger and chips!

Like Burra, the Hawker Caravan Park was brimming with travellers passing through.

Our next week or so would see us mostly free camping so we took the opportunity to wash a few things while we had power and water. The morning was sunny and breezy so all looked good. Little evidence of the possible shower that was coming our way. And it did, so we had an interesting challenge to get the washing dry … but we’re always up for a challenge. The rain passed and the sun returned just in time to set.

It was a very chilly night so needed all our doonas and thermals. Looking forward to some warmer days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb