Exploring Australia - Flying vs Driving


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
May 14th 2018
Published: May 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This might seem a bit of a tough call when Australia is concerned, after all it is quite a vast continent that is not easily be explored. Both flying and driving have their pros and cons and at the end of the day it all depends on your personal preferences. This article is bound to help you decide as to which option is more preferable for you personally.

How much do you want to see



With flying you can hop from city to city, but you will still need a car if you want to explore the surrounding areas and national parks. So, this is the first thing to think about - what is it that you want to see and how can you get there. If you prefer to stay in the city exploring the sights and the nightlife, flying is ideal, and you can do several cities in a short amount of time. Start with Sydney, hop on a plain to Melbourne and finish off in Darwin. Just bear in mind that the costs of flying in Australia might be a bit higher than you expected.




On the other hand, driving lets you explore a bit more of this magical continent, you get to make your own discoveries, stop at a few rainforests, maybe some off road sights and still make the time to go exploring around the big cities.

What is your budget



Deciding between flying and driving is also closely related to your available budget. Of course you should not overlook the possibility of getting a Qantas frequent flyer card, so that you can benefit from some of the privileges offered by this card. This can significantly affect your decision whether to fly or drive. In case you are still set on driving, don’t forget to calculate in the rent-a -car expenses, gas and insurance, and depending on the mileage this can get to be a pretty hefty sum.

Do you have a time constraint



When deciding to explore such a vast country such as Australia, one must accept the fact that not everything can be seen in just one trip. So before you actually decide on the manner of transportation you want to use, think about how much time you have, and what it is you want to see during that time. For example the shortest route from Sydney to Melbourne requires 9 hours by car, and in case you want to do the scenic one via Princes Highway, you will have to make an overnight stop, as it takes almost three days. On the other hand, a flight from Sydney to Melbourne lasts 1h 35m, and there are over 60 flights daily leaving Sydney airport. So there you have it, and of course if you have time to spare, you’ll get a far better experience driving, but if you want to focus on the sights in Sydney and Melbourne, flying is the right option for you.

What is your ideal holiday



This might sound strange, but this question actually plays an important factor in making the decision whether to drive or fly. First of all, if you are a relaxation loving, beach going person, flying is definitely your cup of tea, so to say. First because you’ll get there faster, have more time to relax poolside or at the beach and have a cocktail or two. You can do the organized excursion or two straight from your hotel, it is as simple as that. On the other hand if it is adventure you are seeking, there is no better way then driving and exploring all that Australia has to give. From stunning nature reserves and rainforest, to the rough outback and memorable coastal views. You are bound to have a trip of a lifetime and more than one adrenaline surge.




So as you can see there are many factors to consider when it comes to deciding on which manner of transportation suits you the most. In the end you might want to simply mix it up, and take a plane the first time you visit and then opt for a car the second. It all depends of what your itinerary and budget are.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.507s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb