How I Became a Happy Camper


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
March 17th 2012
Published: April 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our camping kitchen! Our camping kitchen! Our camping kitchen!

TWO gas cooktops! All-weather sheltered kitchen/dining area.
At home in Canada, I am not a happy camper... the hassle of cooking on a 2-burner propane stove with invading wasps as the family sits to eat. Or cooking under a tarp as the rain starts. Or, washing greasy dishes in cold water or waiting to heat it on the propane stove. The nocturnal visits to camp bathrooms shared with nasty insects, or having to shower with a wasp threatening to sting your you-know-what. Yes, serious campers will say I am a wimpy camper and I agree.

I was slightly reluctant about camping on this trip but my pre-conceived ideas were blown away by the state-of-the art kitchens in the "caravan parks" (campgrounds) of Western Australia. The kitchen facilities have HOT running water, with stainless steel countertops and large stainless sinks. The campground kitchens are completely equipped with full-size appliances, gas cooktops, electric kettles, toasters, microwaves, plus stainless steel BBQ, plus television to watch as you prepare your meal.

When we walked into the first camp kitchen - I stared in amazement. Is this kitchen for our use? Although there was variation in the size and style of the amenities every caravan park / campground had a very
Award-winning Camping KitchenAward-winning Camping KitchenAward-winning Camping Kitchen

Stainless steel BBQ, full-size appliances, stainless steel counters... Aussies are experts in camping!
clean kitchen. We noted every camper was careful to leave the counters and sinks very tidy. No one walked away with the toaster or the kettle... No one stole wine or jam or cheese from the refrigerator. I marveled at the concept of a communal camp kitchen.

The spacious kitchens are a social hub, Ken conversed in French with numerous travelers from France during meal preparation or dishwashing. France won for the greatest representation of European travelors...usually young professionals who were staying for a year. Only once we met a couple from Spain so I enjoyed a Spanish converstation.

The campgrounds also surprised me with the finishing touch in the bathrooms... apparently these units are in Canada , but for me the Insect-o-cutor was an eye-opener.


The Insect- O- Cutor ..... ... Zap ! ..... No worries!



The comfort of a insect-free bathroom ... the insect-o-cutor would be very popular in the mosquito areas of the Prairies where I grew up. It would have changed my early memories of the outdoors!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Share the Fig Jam? Share the Fig Jam?
Share the Fig Jam?

Discovered jam fig - such a delicacy!
Insect -o-cutor  Zaps InsectsInsect -o-cutor  Zaps Insects
Insect -o-cutor Zaps Insects

Wonderful feature in the women's facilities! Bzzzzz....Zap!
Insecto -cutor   Buzzz -  Zap!  Insecto -cutor   Buzzz -  Zap!
Insecto -cutor Buzzz - Zap!

My first close-up view of insect control!
Impressive Camping Kitchen   Impressive Camping Kitchen
Impressive Camping Kitchen

Always impressed with stainless steel counters and TWO gas cook-tops in campgrounds. All-weather facility.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb