West Coast Part 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
July 24th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Final stretch of the coast



Passing through the tropic of Capricorn was a good indicator that the weather would turn and almost immediately we noticed the once all-blue skies had turned cloudy, we had our first splashes of rain on the windscreen and the long-sleeved clothes started to make an appearance during the day,

We got the last space available in one of the few campsites in Denham and set off the following morning for the famous resort of Monkey Mia to wastch the dolphin feeding that is done in a controlled environment right on the beach. The first feeding was rammed full of people on the tiny stretch of beach but luckily for us within half an hour the second feeding began, most people had cleared off and not only were we right at the front to witness the feeding but Suze was also lucky enough to get to feed one of the dolphins.

Perth



After a couple more stops at firstly the pretty town of Kalbarri, situated right on a rugged stretch of beach and after a few days the bigger town of Geraldton we finally arrived in Perth. Our first port of call was to clean the van inside and out, including washing away the remains of any roadkill we had acquired through the drive and take the van back to the site to get our deposit back, which was a relief what with the problems we had with the van.

We visited the Maritime Museum in the cool suburb of Fremantle which we reckoned to a slightly bigger version of St Kilda, and had a guided tour around the decommisioned submarine that was next to the museum which was awesome, if not a little cramped for Paul.

The view of Perth from the King's Park area was great and a good photo opportunity to catch the city stretched out along the river. We were also really lucky with the weather considering it was still middle of winter we had two days of almost 20 degrees, which in the sun was glorious. The Fremantle market was also a highlight, and the harbour area with its expensive cafes and restaurants was absolutely full of people, if not a little too pricey... back to the hostel for soup for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The talk was interestingThe talk was interesting
The talk was interesting

Apparently in the 70's the feeding was a bit of a free-for-all and it wasn't until the early 90's that they started to control it
'Steve''Steve'
'Steve'

Paul named him


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb