Christchurch & Lake Tekapo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
August 2nd 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

New Zealand



Landing in New Zealand we were excited at the change of scenery, albeit a familiar one, and after arriving at midnight we were just excited mainly about getting some sleep. We stayed in a great cosy hostel just outside the town centre and it was nice to have a couple of days back in Christchurch to revisit some of our favourite sites such as the pretty botanical gardens and always-interesting people-watching in cathedral square (you're guaranteed to see at least one crazy person there per day).

In search of something we hadn't yet seen we got the bus to the mountain for a short walk and magnificent views of the region, however our passage was ultimately blocked by a group of mean-looking cattle that literally chased us back down the hill.

A new route through the country



After picking up our campervan, using the same company that we used last time who were still the cheapest, we decided to head to Queenstown via the Mount Cook passage to see part of the country we missed out on last time. The friendly Christchurch owner suggested we stop at Lake Tekapo along the way, just a short drive away from Mount Cook and we arrived finally, after a lot of delays in Christchurch, at nightfall and ready to set up camp.

Not only did we find a thriving town, with activities such as scenic flights, ice skating, and some great hot springs overlooking the lake with the mountains as a backdrop which were awesome. We also took a walk up the mountain next to our campsite and were rewarded with great views and a cosy cafe (with the best coffee and ice cream to motivate us for the return walk) and huge windows for magnificent views.

After a night in a pleasant but slightly expensive campsite we decided on saving some money by free-camping on our final night around the lake at a rugged Department of Conversation campsite at a neighbouring lake, which was deserted, and dark, and strangle had a whole fish hanging in a bag from a pole... After a big fill on pasta and meatballs we settled fairly quickly for an undisturbed and warm night in the van under the stars in the middle of nowhere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

An obstacleAn obstacle
An obstacle

It was pretty aggressive, it was protecting it's young
Statue at Lake TekapoStatue at Lake Tekapo
Statue at Lake Tekapo

The drive through the south island was amazing
Said churchSaid church
Said church

Great view


9th November 2009

Camp Sites
We are wanting to visit here, do we just turn up at the campsites are they clearly indicated on the drive. Lord we have never done this and simply don't get it. We have booked to have the Lord of the Rings camper van, gollum on one side and gandalf on the other ya can't beat it haha. Can u send me an informative message on facebook about campsite ettiquette haha x

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb