More Bungle Bungles...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
July 30th 2005
Published: December 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Woke up early needing a pee and then lay in my swag until everyone else was up and i could put it off no longer! I haven't managed to get my butt stung, pricked or bitten by anything yet whilst peeing so it's all good so far! :-)

Left camp at 7am (!!!!!!!!) - bit different from Heading Bush when we would usually be just about ready at 10am if we were lucky. First stop was Cathedral Gorge in the Bungle Bungles, which are huge sandstone gorges and mounds (often beehive shape) approx. 350 million years old extending over a vast area. The sandstone domes are striped orange and black (orange is sandstone, black is cyanobacteria (algae)). Another impressive walk and again it was lovely and peaceful as we had the whole place to ourselves, so that added to the magic of the place and the scenery. Apparently the Bungle Bungles have only been visited by tourists since about 1982 (when they were filmed for a documentary) and people became aware that they were there. It's not surprising really as they are in the middle of a huge plain of nothingness (known as Australia).

Walking through the gorge we eventually made it to the centre and a place called the "amphitheatre", a huge well in the rock formed by a waterfall and flow of water that normally surges through in in the wet season. "Great place for a rave!" according to Finn! The acoustics were amazing, we just needed some HARD ROCK or the Hoffmeister David Hasslehoff's dulcet tones to do it justice!

Drove off to the airfield and past some amazing rock formations that looked like 2 elephants - kodak moment a-gogo! Most of the group went on a flight over the Bungle Bungles, but i couldn't really afford another one after doing the Ayers Rock/Olgas trip, so just sat in the shade quite glad that I wasn't taking a heli flight with a 17-year old pilot!

Had a long drive after lunch to the town of Wyndham, population 1500, which not very surprisingly is a bit of a dump. I spoke to a friendly but v. scary aborigini at the phone box. Finn managed to put unleaded in the van instead of diesel, poor bloke, he was knackered and stressed, so we had to wait until that had drained out. Camp Melbourne were once again NOT impressed! LOL!

Spent the night at a campsite where we actually got to have a shower!!!!!!! I felt like a new woman. Found a really nice green frog that sat on our hands for ages, probably depositing a toxic poison at the same time. There were loads of these frogs in the showers, hence the beautiful outback silence was shattered every 5 mins by blood curdling screams (Dutch women not the frogs).




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb