Nganalam Rock Art/Bungle Bungles!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 29th 2005
Published: December 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Everyone was already up and having breakfast when i finally got out of my swag. I'm the camp slob! Left camp at 8:45am after a wet wipe shower and going to the v. smelly drop pit loo at the campsite. Nice!

We went on a gorgeous walk this morning to the Nganalam Rock Art caves. We were the only ones there so it was very tranquil except for the birds singing and some dusky pink galahs were flying over as we walked up to the caves. I felt really happy walking along in the early morning sunshine in such a beautiful spot. The cave paintings were really well preserved - two gollywog-type figures (ie. men with headdresses but to me they looked like gollywogs!) and a snake. There were loads of wattle trees (Aussie sporting colours are green and gold because of the yellow flowers of this native tree) and Kimberley heather (aboriginis would use this on mossie bites). Finn showed us how broad-leafed acacia contains sapanin so when you rub it between your hands it creates a kind of soap lather. I'm sticking with the wet wipes for now though.

Crossed into Western Australia and took photos at the border like the tourists that we are! We had to go through quarantine and they checked all the eskys for fresh fruit and veg. So now we're officially in the Kimberley... First stop Kununurra a really small town where we stopped for 20 mins to explore. On the outskirts of town there was a small airfield and apparently that's where people on cattle stations and farms leave a vehicle so they can fly in, then drive to town and get their groceries.

Drove to the Bungle Bungles after lucnh at Turkey Creek roadhouse. We walked over the creek bed up to Echidna Chasm which was really beautiful. The sun was setting so the sides of the chasm were a glowing red/orangey colour. We had to climb some huge boulders to get to the centre of the chasm - very easy for a 6ft tall Dutchie but not so easy for me! It was really cool (chilly) inside and so quiet, the silence was almost heavy. Luckily we'd left the rest of the group behind so we had it to ourselves and we were the last ones back and took a wrong turn so the others were on the truck waiting for us - Camp Melbourne were not impressed! :-)

Stayed at a camp site nearby and had burritos for tea that were YUM.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb