William Bay and Elephant Cove


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Walpole
January 1st 2007
Published: January 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

William BayWilliam BayWilliam Bay

New Years Day at William Bay. Stunning water at the best beach I have ever seen in Australia.
What better way to spend a sunny New Years Day here in Walpole than chilling out at the beach. Along the Denmark coastline there is a forest that literally meets the sea in spectacular fashion with karri growing right to the waters edge of some inlets. The park is a mix of forest, sheer headlands, sheltered bays and unusual flora. William Bay is located between Denmark and Walpole off the South Coast Highway. Like many areas on the South Coast there is no coastal plain, in its place are high coastal sand dunes, some of which are colonised by dense scrub and trees and the spectacular, tall hills of granite rocks which have a stonehenge-like appearance.

The William Bay National Park is a popular destination for those in the area. While it is a relatively small park (1,867 hectares) the magnificent flora and fauna more than makes up for any deficit in size. The Park attracts many marsupials and around 100 different species of birds. There are pockets of karri forest, extensive areas of peppermint trees and open woodlands of sheoak and eucalypts. Some of the coastal heathlands are home to a range of plants usually found in karri forest.
'Elephant Rocks''Elephant Rocks''Elephant Rocks'

A breathtaking view over the massive rocks in the shallow waters of Elephant cove.
In the William Bay National Park however, they grow shorter and in a more shrub like fashion to suit the coastal conditions.

The much photographed Greens Pool at Elephant Cove is a sheltered bay where huge granite rocks meet the water. Greens Pool has a narrow beach and shallow water interrupted by the Elephant Rocks, a series of exposed rocks which from several angles resemble a herd of elephants, apparently!!

Anyway, I would definately recommend William Bay and Elephant Cove as a couple of great beaches to spend the day relaxing. Shame I cant find this sort of thing more often in Oz rather than picking fruit !! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Entrance to Elephant CoveEntrance to Elephant Cove
Entrance to Elephant Cove

A narrow path between two enormous rocks provides entrance to the secluded cove...
William BayWilliam Bay
William Bay

The beaches were unexpectedly uncrowded considering the beautiful weather and a national holiday!
William BayWilliam Bay
William Bay

View from the lookout point above William Bay.
Elephant CoveElephant Cove
Elephant Cove

The beach leading out to the elephant rocks.
Elephant CoveElephant Cove
Elephant Cove

Another view of the rocks. Look closely and you can see a man walking on water...
Elephant CoveElephant Cove
Elephant Cove

Here you can see the scale of some of the rocks next to these two canoes.
Elephant CoveElephant Cove
Elephant Cove

Me in front of the rocky pool.
Beyond Elephant CoveBeyond Elephant Cove
Beyond Elephant Cove

Walking out further over the rocks provides this view along the coastline.


7th January 2007

Great Beach
Hi, looks like great beach and good place to chill out. Glad that you finally found somewhere in Oz to compare with beaches in Thailand. Long wait but then some excellent blogs, as always.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb