13 May 2012 (photos)


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The morning sun was heating up early so we set off on the 90 km journey out of Tom Price to Karijini National Park.The western side of the Park is primarily 4WD territory but to the east the roads are mostly sealed so that is where we headed.

The Park is famous for its gorges and waterfalls and once we arrived at Dales Gorge we were greeted with A grade views from above. A steep climb down stairs carved into the side of the terrain had us at Fortescue Falls that flowed into a pool below and visitors were already taking advantage of the natural surroundings and taking a dip in nature’s finest.

We then set off on a trek down the bottom of the Gorge towards a natural swimming hole. We saw warnings earlier at the Visitor’s Centre that basically said if heavy rain appears imminent you should make your way out of the gorge immediately and it is easy to see why. The cliff faces to either side create a funnel and in the wet season the paths we were walking on are completely submerged. You could easily see debris lodged in trees six feet in the
Fortescue FallsFortescue FallsFortescue Falls

View from above
air where the water level had been a few months earlier.

The walk was testing with some areas being Class 4 that required climbing and manoeuvring over small streams. Circular Pool was like an oasis in the desert at the end of the trek. It was completely covered by shade under the gorge and there were plenty of people already swimming. I took a while to get in as it was icey cold but once in I could have stayed all day as it was a crisp and natural haven.

We hit the road again after lunch and as we headed towards Port Headland we were treated with astonishing views over Munjina Gorge. The journey through the Pilbara region was some of the best driving I have ever experienced.

After a long and hot day we peeled off the main highway into Indee Station to set up camp for the night. The hosts provided great country hospitality and many travellers stop along the way to stay for the night. There are areas for caravans and tents plus there is onsite accommodation for the workers at the station. What a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Dales Gorge (2)Dales Gorge (2)
Dales Gorge (2)

Along the path
On the pathOn the path
On the path

Towards Circular Pool


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb