Didgeribone


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
April 21st 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Freemantle Post OfficeFreemantle Post OfficeFreemantle Post Office

Freemantle Post Office, on a lovely sunny day in Perth
DAY 165


We awake to the sounds of tent poles clanging around us, the people in the Kimberley trailer next to us are leaving today, they have an early start as they have over 800 kilometres to drive.

It is 7am and the sun is streaming in through the open blinds, the day is warming already. Andy brings me a cup of tea I sit in bed and drink it while he sits and types the blog.

It is too good a morning to waste lying around so I get up and wander down to the camp shop to get some more milk and a loaf of bread, when I get back I get our breakfast of a bacon sandwich on the go.

We head down to Fremantle this morning; we want to see what the area is like. On the way out I see a sticker in a car window saying, “Work is for people who don’t fish”. I ponder this for a moment, I guess Andy and I need to find work then as neither of us fish. This thought does not last long as I think of the sunshine and the day ahead of us.

24 kilometres later we are in Fremantle centre, we park up and go to buy a ticket, a lady rushes over and thrusts a ticket at us, she says use this otherwise it will be a waste, we check out the ticket expecting an hour or two at the most, but this ticket does not expire until 8.00 tonight, so we have plenty of time.

We wander around the corner and see some very old buildings with a couple of interesting shops, one of them called Didgeridoo Breath, this shop looks fantastic it is full of didgeridoos, boomerangs, aboriginal art and bongo’s.

We get chatting to Sanshi he is enthusiastic about this place, it has been going for 7 years, he is from Japan and lives over here with his family.

We look around at the didgeridoo’s and Sanshi puts one each into our hands to show us how to get a noise out, for about the first time ever I think I managed to get a sound out, but not for long! Sanshi also showed us a Didgeribone, “ A What?” I can hear you all asking, well it is still a didgeridoo,
How manyHow manyHow many

These are the real deals, not the one they, shops sell for the tourists
but it is on a pole that slides out the same way that a trombone does!

Engaged fully in conversation we find out that they do didgeridoo lessons for beginners on Wednesdays, Andy’s eyes light up, he has always wanted to be able to play a musical instrument and would love to be able to play the didgeridoo.

We find out the details and move on.

We walk around Fremantle and we both agree that it is a nice twee place, without all the Hubbub of a big city, we walk past a hair salon and Andy said didn’t you want to get a hair cut, as I surely do, so we both walk in. I sit down, have a quick trim and go and sit waiting for Caroline who is also getting her hair trimmed, in ½ an hour we are both done and walking down the street again.
Coffee is now on the agenda, so we find a small café and sit in the sunshine drink a coffee and watching the world go by.

We haven’t given Fremantle enough time, but it will be here when we get back in a few days, so
PracticingPracticingPracticing

This is his shop assistant, geting some practice in.
we head back to the truck and navigate our way out of Fremantle through over the bridge to the city outskirts to have a look, I honestly think all cities are the same, but still want to know what Perth is like if we might give it a shot of living and working here, even on a temporary basis.

Perth has a “Big Wheel” as does Brisbane, Singapore and London, and adjacent to it is a structure that we find out is called the “Bell Tower” an attractive structure combining steel and glass.
An outstanding landmark location linking the City and River, the Bell Tower is a unique attraction - a musical instrument of considerable historical and cultural significance with a dedication to become a world-centre of excellence in the art of English change ringing. The Bell Tower is a cultural icon with enduring authenticity, where bells and clocks from all over the world, from all through the ages, have been carefully restored, preserved, interpreted and are now celebrated by visitors daily.
This ring of bells is one of the most historic rings in the world, highly revered in English changeringing circles it is the only location in the
Caroline having a blowCaroline having a blowCaroline having a blow

Sanshi let us try out the Didgeridoo's inside his excellent shop
world where a major set of changeringing bells - the only peal of 16 changeringing bells in Southern hemisphere!! - can be observed by the public whilst they are being rung ~ all in a safe, pleasant and truly unique setting.
Caroline navigates us out of the city, as usual, and we get back to where we are staying, we have to go past and on the dry cleaners where the blanket is to be collected from, all done and dusted we can get it on the bed, just in case the weather changes.

We get back to the trailer, the afternoon sun is hot so we sit in the shade and type the blog entry, we are deliberating what we are going to have to dinner tonight, and we come to the conclusion that we need onions and it would be best if we went to Woolworths for a few groceries. So at 6.10 we pop out and park the truck up the supermarkets and to our amazement find that these 2 major supermarkets, Woolworths and Coles are both closed.

It’s not an emergency code Spam problem but we have to replan our evening meal, so its
SanshiSanshiSanshi

Hell, This Boy could play, he has had this shop 7 years.
back to rustle up some good old bangers and mash. We don’t know if the Australians have a slang name for mash as they do for sausages but snags and mash just doesn’t have the same ring.

With dinner finished, we sit down and do some more photo catch up and a couple of hands of cards then its off to hit they hay.

Until tomorrow bloggers, It should be a good one as I have my Didgeridoo lesson tomorrow at 6.00pm, so keep reading.






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Learn to play for freeLearn to play for free
Learn to play for free

The shop is called DidgeridooBreath
PerthPerth
Perth

Driving out of the city


15th September 2009

The Didjeribone
The Original and the best Sliding Didjeridu on the planet... wouldn't play anything else on stage!!!

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb