Poms back in Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
November 10th 2006
Published: December 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Up fairly early again to pack up and get ready to get back to Perth. Caught out a little as we needed to wait for the office to open to get our key deposit back. Finally set off about 8:30 and went back up the coast to Bussleton. The lady in the Bunbury YHA said we should visit the "jetty", there which with her accent took about 1/2 dozen goes to understand! The Jetty is about 2km long and stretches all the way out into the bay. It was really windy when we arrived and was a very refreshing walk out to the end. They used to dock boats here in years gone by and apparently the london underground is built with timber from the local area exported from the jetty. There were some fishermen sheltering at the end trying to keep out of the wind - unfortunately the underwater observatory was not open (or fortunately - it was 20$ to get in!). Wandered back to the shore and got a hot drink and a cake to warm back up - it was huge, but tasty!

Had to head back to Bunbury as we had left a DVD with all
No Fishing.No Fishing.No Fishing.

someone cannot read....
the pictures in the hostel (doh!) before heading back up to Freemantle - a short distance from Perth. Lunch was leftover "Hot Chook" sarnies with a gaggle of friendly seagulls. Made it up to Freo ok and checked into the Old Firestation hostel which is a really friendly, bustling, noisy place in the towns old firestation. Our room has a really tall ceiling and bed is on a raised platform you need to climb a ladder to get up to - cool!

Wandered into town to take a look around, and ended the day with a trawl of a local market. Bought some supplies to make a Thai Green Curry, which was very tasty; the guy eating a pot noodle at our table in the canteen was very jealous! Watched 'Hulk - the movie' in the common lounge (very like Uni here!) before heading off to our suspended bed.

Final day in WA today - checked out of the hostel and then drove up to Perth town to take a look around. We found a car park on Queen St. and then wandered around the town, loosely following a walking tour which was in the Lonely Planet guide that we have. It takes in most of the main sights in Perth which was great to see and we were especially pleased as it was free. Aus has been a lot more expensive than we planned and have needed to be fairly careful with the cash!

Got to the airport fairly early and dropped the car back at the desk and then realised that we needed to get to the domestic terminal instead of international were we arrived. Waited about an hour for a bus, which we thought would be free, only to be charged about 15$ - oops. Dinner was a sarnie and a beer whilst we whiled away the hours before our midnight flight. Both talked back to the folks in the UK - which was great and we had not really had a catch up for a while and we'll be another three timezones away in Sydney, making things even harder.

Flight took off on time and we arrived in Sydney 4hrs later at 7am. Back in the comfort of the UK this seemed like a great way to travel and a good plan to save the cost of some accomodation, but right now
The jetty in profileThe jetty in profileThe jetty in profile

all 2ks did not fit in!
it felt like the hard option!

Found our lift to town ok and headed to the 'Original Backpackers' on Victoria St - in Kings Cross, where we headed straight to the room and got a couple of hours well deserved shut eye.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

'If Only' says Beck'If Only' says Beck
'If Only' says Beck

The one at home only has two leaves


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb