Working Holiday Visa (WHV) in Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Scarborough
May 30th 2015
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

These are three magic words! Those who can open the doors of this wonderful land called Australia and resulted in the creation of this blog.

WHV? What is it?

The Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is the sesame opening the doors of many countries such as Canada, Japan, New Zealand and Australia. This visa is available to anyone aged between 18 and 30 years old (35 years for the Canada). It allows young people to travel and stay in the country for one year with the possibility to work to renew it for an extra year.

Under which conditions?



Regarding the WHV in Australia, apart from its age limitations mentioned above, you need to:



- possess a valid passport

- make your application for a visa outside the Australian territory

- do not have dependent children

- prove that you have at least $ 5,000. You can use a little everything and anything proving your good will: statement of bank account, cash, traveller's cheques, letter from your parents stating that they will help you in the event of financial needs,... In practice, this step is supposed to be checked at the border upon arrival in Australia, but it seems that few people are controlled.

- in some cases a medical examination may be requested



Once the criteria met, you should be able to access the visa without any problem but do not believe that you will get the same rights as an Australian resident. During this year, you can:



- Enter the country for the first time less than a year after you have been granted the visa

- Enter and exit the country as many times as you like and, for one year from the date of your first entry into the territory.

- Work up to 6 months for the same company (after that you need to change). And the trick to go to work for the same company by being paid by various recruitment agencies normally doesn't. The company taken into account is that for which you work directly and not the one that pays you

- study up to 4 months (17 weeks excluding holidays)

Cost of the visa



Yes, sadly, everything has a cost in life, nothing is free, not even Australia!

It will cost around $ 235 as per may 2015. After all, paying €14 per month for having an excellent year of travel, grow, improve your English, filling your head of memories, meet great people,... it is not so expensive don't you think?

2nd year



You need to have worked for at least three months (paid or volunteer work but this might change anytime) in the primary sector in rural areas where the workforce is apparently lacking and where backpackers can be needed! The idea is simple, during your year of travel, you can work for one or several employers at regular intervals and you can then claim a second visa. The exact number of days is 88 days.

Where can you work?

You can perform all kinds of jobs commonly called by the backpackers such as fruit picking. Although it is not the only acceptable task for the renewal of the visa. In fact, you can as well work in the mines, animal and wildlife parks, forests ... You will find a complete list of positions that you can occupy on the Australian immigration website regarding "seasonal work".

Overall, Tasmania, South Australia and the Northern Territory are considered to be areas of seasonal work and finding work over there is easier than in NSW for example.

How do renew my visa?

To perform a renewal of your visa application, will need you to prove that you have worked during the time required (88) days. That is why you will need to meet the criterias and gather all the proofs from your employers. Required info is name, address, Australian Business Number (ABN) and the dates of your employment.

All the best!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb