Onions, Dugongs, Dolphins and heaps more


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
November 6th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The last couple of weeks we have not travelled as much in mileage on the road but lots of mileage with the senses.

Bombarded we get with beauty.

Spent a week in Carnarvon to get my neck and shoulder fixed and to see if onion picking is a job we wanted to do. Great farmer, interesting set-up but in the end we gave it a miss 'cause ….well onions are in the ground and even though I am close to the ground the bending in 38 degrees did not seem such a great idea. But staying one week in one place opens up things one doesn't see in a day or two. The locals where all so so friendly. We rode around on our pothilatos (bicycles) and chatted a lot.



Nearby is Quobba, just 80 km north - a bush camping area with snorkelling and a blow hole which blows water into the sky, which was even better than Coral Bay. So so many fish, they just about could have eaten us whilst we where swimming through them and crashed into them. A fantastic location with a lighthouse which shone down on us at night.



Next was Denham and Monkey Mia. Both Goff and I were here about 30 years ago, Goff even worked on the Campground for a while and yeah its mindblowing to see the changes. What was once a sleeping fishing village and a dirt track to some deserty outpost to Dolphin territory with plenty of mozzies and sandflies thrown in, is now …... well let's just say a tad different 😊



But hey the dolphins are here, probably laughing their heads off at us crazy humans, accepting our little fishy hand-outs each morning and doing a few dancing swirls to keep us all happy.

During midday it gets hot, windy and quiet. We went out on a Catamaran to see the floating pearl farm and the Dugong area in the seaweedy stuff. This is the place where more Dugongs reside than anywhere else in the world. It's all a bit mind-blowing. I mean what a treasure of a spot. Turtles float by, fish in abundance, at night the crabs come out in the hundreds like a little army, the Pelicans just pelican around ….



Heaps of research into Dolphin behaviour going on here and the camp ground looks a bit like a refugee camp. Mind you we have had a glass of cool cool Western Australian Vino and a Gin and Tonic by the bar around sunset. These are the comforts which were not even dreamned of in the 80's.



Loads of pictures this time 'cause words don't quite cut it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



7th November 2013

Hello
Hi guys thank you very much for all the info. A lot of those places I have beenmonkey M it brings back memories to me sounds like you are having a most wonderful time I am really jealous love you both keep the good work coming love Carolyn

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb