The Robey's take on Perth to Exmouth Day 4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
July 13th 2021
Published: July 14th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Awaking early we headed down to the ocean for the dolphin experience. Monkey Mia Resort do a dolphin feeding experience. I wasn't sure what to expect, in two minds about the how ethical this would be but my curiosity override and we were lined up on the beach, toes in the water.

We were informed about the 'dolphin program' of only feeding 2 of the dolphins less than 10 percent of their daily feeding, allowing them to catch their own. The talk involved history, facts and a strong emphasis on dolphin (and ocean) conservation.

Although Kym and I have been blessed by the amount of wild dolphins that have approached us while we have been kayaking or on the jetski and have had many encounters with them in Adelaide, we were still ahhing and awwing everytime we saw them come in close to shore (less than a metre away). They seemed curious of us too.

A few people were picked from the crowd to 'feed' the dolphins and sadly is wasnt us, but it was still a cool experience to watch

Since we were up, we took a look at the water, which at the time looked quite flat and booked kayaks for the day.

A quick breakfast and coffee and we set out for an epic kayak adventure. The plan was to kayak to the shark nursery and the round trip would take about 5 hours with stops. We headed against the current with strong winds and the initial 20 minutes journey to Green Turtle Reef took an hour. We kept paddling, thinking that just round the next bay the wind would drop off and the water would be clear and not cloudy. That never happened and after 3 and a half hours of paddling we turned back, stopping at the beach in front of the striking red cliffs. Our journey back took 45 minutes, to which I was now grateful for the wind in our backs.

Monkey Mia resort has 2 pools and I wanted to swim in my mermaid tail and just chill for a while. I was worried that it would be packed but we had the pool that overlooked the ocean to ourselves. I swam and Kym read.

4pm was happy hour at the Boughshed and we grabbed a couple of cocktails overlooking the ocean once again and watched the dolphins swim the shoreline.

The Monkey Bar, the second bar at Monkey Mia had their happy hour at 5, so a couple of beverages and a nice spot that you could watch the sunset over the ocean was where we stayed for a while.

Feeling exhausted we retired to our tent and slept well that night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb