The Robey's take on Perth to Exmouth Day 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
July 12th 2021
Published: July 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Going with Option C, we slept in the back of the car and it did work well in keeping us dry. With the sets folded back the mattress pretty much fit in and although we couldn’t fully stretch out we were not too uncomfortable and during the night we could hear the rain come down in sheets. Our tent was slightly sideways in the morning with a small pool of water in one corner so we were grateful for making the decision to sleep in the car.

It was still raining on an off when we adventured out of the car, our bladders calling us to get up more than anything else. Even though it was raining the weather forecast that by 11am it would pretty much clear up and we set out to buy a rain poncho and explore Kalbarri National Park.

I had only done brief research on this so had no expectations on what it would be like and it was super awesome. We visited three destinations; Z Bend, a 1.2 km round trip down rock steps to a magnificent lookout that took our breath away. The Skywalk; a man made structure that jutted out over the gorge, so when you looked down you were hundreds of feet in the air, was also pretty cool to be on and the final place we went to, Natures Window, had us drinking in each angle of the views we were looking at. Red rocked cliffs rose up like a mini Grand Canyon with a green flowing river meandering through it. The Murchinson River was huge and both Kym and I wondered if kayaking the Murchinson river (or even white water rafting..) would be possible..



Making our way to the next destination, we encountered Emu's running across the road before we stopped for Fuel in Billabong. Not sure, other than a couple of roadhouses if there was anything else to see in Billabong, but duct tape held the petrol pumps together, 50’s diner music came over the loudspeaker and a taxidermy eagle was a feature in the dining area.

Arriving at RAC Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort just before sunset, we took a quick tour of the resort, walking along the beach and grabbed a couple of drinks to watch the sunset with chilled music playing live in the background.

Our camp set up, we headed out for dinner at the Boatshed and enjoyed local freshly caught seafood for dinner before retiring for the night, hoping that the rain would stay away and we would be dry in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.2kb