Margaret River to Narembeen


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Margaret River
September 20th 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Margaret RiverMargaret RiverMargaret River

The Boys Feeding the Animals at the Caravan Park
Day 75 Margaret River to Albany 12/09/06

It rained quite heavily during the night, but we awoke to the sun breaking through a cloudy sky. As we got up we found some puddles on the tent floor. This was due to water leaks around the rear door and unfortunately the laptop carry case was sitting on the floor and soaked. Luckily, the laptop seemed to be dry and I was able to dry the case with Leanne’s hair dryer. After breakfast the boys fed the farm animals with our food scraps, while Leanne and I began the pack up. We left Taunton Farm around 10.30am and drove to the Margaret River Dairy Company Cheese Outlet, just up the road. We tasted several of their cheeses and purchased some Vintage Tasty, Sweet Chilly Club and a jar of Marinated Feta. From here we drove to the Margaret River Township and checked out the Candy Cow, tasting and purchasing some of their flavoured fudges.

From Margaret River we drove to Port Augusta and then down to Cape Leeuwin, where we did the lighthouse tour. This was very worthwhile and we were glad we drove the extra distance to do the tour.
Cape LeeuwinCape LeeuwinCape Leeuwin

The Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse
We jumped back in the car and drove back through Port Augusta to Pemberton. Here we had lunch and then climbed the ‘Gloucester Tree Lookout’. This is a 61 metre high platform mounted on top of a tall Karri tree. You climb up 153 steel pegs that spiral the tree, up to the observation deck. While Leanne was a bit hesitant at first, she climbed to the top without a problem. Once we were back on terra firma, William stated “that it was the best thing ever!”, however he was a bit worried coming back down. From here we drove to Walpole, where we refueled and rang the Albany Gardens Caravan Park to book a site, as it was getting late and we were still an hour or so away.

We arrived in Albany at 6.30pm and after locating our site, set up the trailer in the dark. As it was so late, we drove into town and bought some dinner. After a cruise around the town centre, we returned to the park and retired to the trailer for the night.

Day 76 Albany 13/09/06

We awoke to a cloudy, but sunny morning and had a leisurely
Cape Leeuwin 2Cape Leeuwin 2Cape Leeuwin 2

Leanne & The Boys on Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse Viewing Deck
breakfast. After breakfast I walked up to the office to register and pay for our site. As they had internet access in the office, I returned shortly after and published blogs 10 & 11. Once we had done the usual domestics, we jumped in the car and drove back through Denmark to the ‘Valley of The Giants’. After checking out the tourist information area, we did the ‘Tree Top Walk’ (much the same as the Otway Fly). This walk is on suspended steel platforms that meander through the forest, reaching 40 metres above the forest floor at its highest point. These platforms sway as you walk and the boys took delight in trying to increase this movement, much to Leanne’s discomfort! The Tree Top Walk starts and finishes at the office area and once you have completed this, you can then do the ‘Ancient Empire Walk’. This walk is around the forest floor, on boardwalks, where you check out the huge ‘Tingle’ trees which have hollow bases. We took numerous photos standing in the ones we could access. After checking out the gift shop, we drove back to Denmark where we had lunch.

On the return trip, we took
Gloucester TreeGloucester TreeGloucester Tree

Climbing the Gloucester Tree Lookout
the Tourist Scenic Drive on return to Albany, stopping at William Bay, the Natural Bridge, The Gap and Cable Beach and finally at ‘Whale World’. Whale World is a Historic Whaling Station that was closed in the 80’s and turned into a museum. We took the guided tour and then looked at the exhibits and climbed over the Cheynes IV whaling boat. As we were running late, it was a bit rushed, but still well worth visiting. From here we drove back into Albany, where we did some shopping before returning to the caravan park. I gave the car a wash, while the boys did some diary work and Leanne prepared dinner. We cooked and ate dinner in the camp kitchen, with the TV on and the gas patio heater burning to keep us warm. After dinner the boys did some more diary work, while I got the twelfth blog ready for publishing. We returned to the trailer around 9.30pm and retired for the night.

Day 77 Albany to Narembeen 14/09/06

We awoke to a fine sunny morning and as there had been heavy dew, the tent was damp. We had breakfast and packed up what we could,
Valley of the GiantsValley of the GiantsValley of the Giants

The Tree Top Walk
leaving the tent to dry in the morning sun. I published the twelfth blog at the park office and then we played table tennis and had a kick of the footy, a very leisurely morning. After finishing the pack up, we refueled in Albany and drove down to Middleton Beach, in the hope of sighting some whales. The beach here is beautiful, but unfortunately there were no whales to be seen. We jumped back in the car and headed north to Narembeen.

We drove through the Sterling Ranges and stopped at the Dutch Windmill, ‘Lily’. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get a tour of the 5 storey replica windmill, but we took several photos. After stopping for lunch in Borden, we drove through to Pingrup, where we refueled. As we drove past the Kulin Bush Race Track turnoff, we were amazed to see tin artwork depicting cows, farmers and horses (we took photos of these which we will show you on our return). We arrived in Narembeen at 4.45pm and met Annette out the front of their IGA Supermarket.

After saying hello to Des, Annette took us to their house, where I backed the car and trailer into the backyard.
Valley of the Giants 2Valley of the Giants 2Valley of the Giants 2

The Hollow Base of a Giant Tingle Tree
We unhooked the trailer, got out the clothes bags etc. and made our way into the house. Annette had organised a roast pork dinner for us which was cooking and smelt fantastic. Their son Ben arrived home from school and the boys were soon all playing outside. We sat outside under the patio, had a few nibblies and drinks, chatting for an hour or so. As it got dark, we moved inside and had our roast dinner, which was superb. After dinner, once the dishes were sorted, we put the boys to bed. The adults had a cuppa or two and then also retired for the evening.

Day 78 Narembeen 15/09/06

We awoke around 7.00am after a good nights sleep. William came into our room and Daniel followed a while later. Des had already left for work before we got up and after Leanne and I had showers, we got breakfast organised. Annette had spoilt the boys and bought them muffins for breakfast! Once Ben had left for school, we got the boys doing some diary work. While they were doing this Leanne got some clothes washing done and I did some blog. We prepared a picnic lunch
William Bay National ParkWilliam Bay National ParkWilliam Bay National Park

William at William Bay
before we drove to the supermarket to catch up Annette and Des. After getting some directions, we drove out to Mt Walker, stopping at Hidden Hollow on the way. At Mt Walker we turned left and drove to Roe Dam for a look. From here we drove back through Mt Walker to Hyden, where we stopped for lunch. While we were eating lunch, a stumpy tailed lizard wandered over to us so we took some photos while the boys checked it out. After lunch, we drove to Wave Rock and walked around it. This is a fantastic rock formation and we were lucky enough to tag onto a guided tour, learning a few things about it and its history. Once back in the car, we then drove to Hippo’s Yawn, The Humps, Mulka’s Cave and the Gnamma Holes, which were all worth visiting. As it was getting late, we decided it was time to head back to Annette’s. On the return trip, we refueled at Hyden, arriving back in Narembeen around 5.35pm.

Once again, Annette had prepared dinner for us, roast chicken this time and Leanne served this up for Ben and the boys. Annette and Des were going
AlbanyAlbanyAlbany

The Natural Bridge
out to the local football club end of season dinner, so they weren’t eating with us. Leanne dropped Annette and Des off at their function, while the boys and I ate dinner. After dinner, Ben went to his youth group and our boys did some diary work. After doing some more blog, I watched the Freo - Melbourne game on TV. As you probably know, it was a good game, but unfortunately, Freo came out on top. Once this had finished, we put the boys to bed. Ben arrived home at about 9.30pm and after he had gone to bed, Leanne and I also retired for the night.

Day 79 Narembeen 16/09/06

By the time we were out of bed, Des had already left for work. The boys all slept in and appeared at about 8.30am. Des had been awarded ‘Clubman of the Year’ at the Narembeen Football Club Dinner last night and was pretty chuffed. Annette said she enjoyed the night and was glad they had gone. After breakfast we all went over to the supermarket to help Des and Annette moving some stock and shelving. We all chipped in at the shop with Leanne as a
Albany 2Albany 2Albany 2

Whale World - Whale Skeletons
‘checkout chick’, Daniel stocking fridges and shelves with Ben, William moving product with Des and I also moved stock and refilled shelves. We were all so busy, time flew and it was 12.30 and time to close before we knew it! After the shop was locked up we walked home and had a late lunch. As the weather was so nice, Leanne and I opened the trailer and set up the tent so it could air and dry. During the afternoon we all went for a walk around the town. On return to the house, we watched the Westcoast Eagles beat Melbourne on TV, while having dinner. We all watched the Crocodile Hunter Movie on TV before putting the boys to bed. After chatting for another hour or so, the adults went to bed.

Day 80 Narembeen 17/09/06

We all slept in, getting up around 9.00am. After having breakfast, we organised everything needed for a picnic lunch out at the Ski Lake. We decided to take the camp ovens and have a stew casserole and damper cooked on a fire. We set off in the 4wd with food, esky, picnic table and Bella (the family retriever). As soon
Albany 3Albany 3Albany 3

Whale World - An Old Whaling Boat
as we arrived, Des, the boys and I got the fire going. Once we had some nice coals burning, we put the stew on the fire and sat back enjoying ourselves. The boys and Bella went exploring around the lake, while Des, Annette, Leanne and I enjoyed knibblies and drinks. Des and I kept check on the stew until it was cooked. When the boys and Bella returned for lunch, they were all covered in mud! As lunch was being served, Des put the damper on the fire. The stew was absolutely beautiful, followed shortly after with damper and jam, which was also very tasty. You can’t beat camp fire cooked meals!

After lunch, as the boys had taken off on another adventure and Des was having a siesta, the girls and I decided to take a walk. We caught up with the boys, who were by now even muddier than before! We all walked back to the picnic area and packed everything up. While we were doing this the boys enjoyed some marshmallows cooked over the coals. On arriving back at Annette’s, after unloading the car, we showered the boys before sitting back and relaxing, while Des went
Albany 4Albany 4Albany 4

Dock Rock
across to the supermarket to place their weekly order. As we had a late afternoon lunch, we had a light dinner at about 8.00pm. Being Monday tomorrow and Ben having school, we organised the boys into bed. After watching the ‘50 years of TV’ program, the adults also went to bed, after another fantastic day.

Sorry for the lack of communications and blogs but the mobile service has been nonexistent and there have been very few Internet Cafes available. We are all well and looking forward to catching up with you when we arrive home. We hope this blog finds you all well and we'll talk to you when we can!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

HydenHyden
Hyden

Wave Rock
NarembeenNarembeen
Narembeen

Our Checkout Chick
Narembeen 2Narembeen 2
Narembeen 2

Our BBQ at Ski Lake


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb