Wild Wine West


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Margaret River
November 22nd 2005
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

FlipperFlipperFlipper

Eaee eei eae eea
Ok, yet another exceptionally late entry - but why change a habit that works.

After the preparation we set off for our test run down the coast to Margaret River (mmm wine region). The first taste of 'camping' was a small concrete block next to the toilets in a tree laden park. At the time we thought the park was dingy but tolerable, and the price was high ($24). Since then we've realised our standards can drop somewhat lower and what we pay has, at times, jumped painfully higher.

The drive down was unexceptional, with an occasional taste of the poorer Australian driving and examples of depressed wildlife tossing itself in front of Marvin. We found this latter practice a bit distressing at first, but sadly got more used to it as time went on.

The area around Margaret River is beautiful and varied. Rolling Vineyards one minute and then lustrous forests the next. Our camp site was a 'bush camp'. It was quite an exciting proposition at the time with our own secluded area with its own barbecue - free wood supplied. On the second night, with dozens of flies trying to crawl up your nose and
TreesTreesTrees

Trees and more trees
in your ears it didn't seem that 'yippee skip' fun anymore. The use of the free wood for the 'barbie' was a good thing though and made the nights more fun and kept away some flies. Oh - and not to forget the Inch Ants swarming over the log bench, Huntsman spiders the size of Gills hand on the seat, and the baby redback spiders attempting to make a home in our van!

It's interesting to note now that our concept of Aus weather was much different than the reality of it. Luckily we had a couple of jumpers still with us (the emergency thermals) so didn’t freeze - but it was bloody nippy!

Along with Margaret River we also visited Augusta - the headland from which you can see whales. It was an exciting prospect until we discovered they’d all pissed off to the north. You make an effort and the locals just don't reciprocate. The area was lovely though and Augusta looks like a great place to live - if you like the quiet life. We did make up for the lack of whales by fixing Gills need for a dolphin sighting. Not as exotic as
Jewel CaveJewel CaveJewel Cave

A Brocolli-tite
the irrawaddy dolphins we'd hoped to see in Laos, but these dolphins swam close to the shore and did a few 'swim bys' - they made an effort which is more than can be said for those ungrateful whales.

We added to our nature experience by visiting a cave - very nice, and going on a point to point coastal walk which took us along miles of 'natural habitat covered' cliffs. The best part of which was sitting on the beach watching dolphins play in the surf. This was a part of the dolphin character we hadn’t fully appreciated - that they really do play. We watched as these creatures waited for a big wave and then swam into the crest and rode the wave in until it broke. It was hard to break ourselves away from this show but with miles of snake ridden path to 'stomp' (it scares the snakes) we had to go.

The journey back was straight forward enough, we made a few stops at the wineries - bought a couple, and stopped at a few camp sites on the way. All-in-all it was a successful first run with the chance to eek out a few snags (although not to be confused with snaggers - which are sausages we found out!).

Our only misgiving was, and this is only a small issue, that when evening came and most people were snug in there house-esque little campers we were left with the options of either shivering in the cold and dark, keeping one eye out for deadly spiders and the other out for the snakes, or going to bed when it got dark - which was about 7pm. It was times like these when you miss a few home comforts and a TV and DVD player - but you make your bed and lie in it - literally it seems.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bush campingBush camping
Bush camping

And it's only 6:30
Funky StalactitesFunky Stalactites
Funky Stalactites

It's called a 'Shawl' you know.
More DolphinsMore Dolphins
More Dolphins

We'll stop harpoon on about it - save yourselves, it's too late for the whales!
Cave entranceCave entrance
Cave entrance

Any closer and we'd have had to pay
SpaghettitesSpaghettites
Spaghettites

Yes we are making this up!


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 94; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb