Exmouth, over taking road train, termite nests and low fuel


Advertisement
Published: December 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

111

Termite mound
Here are just some random photos, cannot really remember when these things took place, but it is somewhere during our drive from Perth to Broome...

I have overtaken my first road train, very nervous experience, very long and the carriages swings around alot and it is carrying LPG...

Then we saw some really big termite nests, everyone got excited about it... the mounds are dotted all over the outback...

Leaving coral bay, we headed straight towards Exmouth, rather disappointing, because although the beach is really nice up there, it did not have the abundance of marine life off the beach as seen in coral bay, most of the beach there just have sandy bottoms, good for a swim, but no reef... really have to take a boat out to Ningaloo reef... I really wanted to do that, at least a whole week of diving in Ningaloo off the boats, so that was a disappointment... Penny, let's get this organised for next Feb, we'll dive until the cow come home... I am so coming back to Exmouth again, be worth it even just for the diving...

Exmouth is on a very long over 200km penninsula, so there will be alot of back tracking if you want to go Exmouth, as you will have to go back the same way you went to... Camping in Exmouth is expensive, around 60 dollars per car caravan parks, but we backpackers do not have that money, so we drove 50km outside Exmouth and found some designated camping sites by the beach for 24 dollars... There we meet a huge group of Italians and then Germans, all in all about 20 of us. Pushed my comfort zone abit, because as athletes, we don't usually drink heaps... Kiwi loved the experience, she is only 19, so all is new to her... Caught up with the Italian guys the next day, cool guys, they are heading to Perth...

From Exmouth, we back tracked down to Coral bay again, then headed inland to Nanutarra road house to camp there for the night, before going to Karijini National Park... Road house charges 40 dollars for campervan, but the site has power and water, more important for us, it had showers... The guy at the Road house is from Perth, really nice chap, follows Fremantle Dockers...

This may concern you guys driving in outback, the petrol station in remote areas are very few and far between, could be over 300km before you see another service station, so fuel up to max whenever you can. We had our low fuel light on, indicating 10 percent fuel with 100km to go to the next road house... If this happens to you, try what we did, drive the car at 70km/h for as long as you can with out accelerating, basically you try to float the car for as long as it will allow, worked for us, we drove 120km with low fuel light on... So happy to see the petrol station though...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

99
9

Requesting permission to over take road train... think that was a yes...
1010
10

double line, cannot over take, road rules are same as Victoria, so had to wait for minutes for my chance, so nervous...
1212
12

Low fuel and still 100km to Nanutarra Road House
1414
14

Nice landscape
1616
16

Nanutarra Road House, fuel, sleep, shower aned everything else
1818
18

This is what a road train looks like from the side


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb