Historic Burt Street


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
June 7th 2014
Published: June 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Approximately 4 years ago Kalgoorlie Boulder was hit by an earthquake which caused a lot of damage, the most severe in one block of the main street in Boulder - Burt Street.

Boulder has long been the poor relative of Kalgoorlie but as a result of this earthquake there is a project to revitalise the area with a Heritage upgrade underway. The signs are on the scaffolding as you enter underneath it. Shops are operating for very long periods of time under these conditions. Buildings which have been completed are very impressive.

We went to the Recreation hotel for lunch as it was recommended for their wood fired pizza, but the oven had not yet been lit so we settled for very posh looking chicken schnitzels. As we entered the restaurant, Sheffield's, named after a former owners dog who liked to sit on the roof of the entry way and watch the traffic, there was much excitement among the workers. They were unwrapping and assembling a paella gas burner and pan, they are going to start serving paella. Into the mind went an appointment for Mieke, Mary, GMan and I to try this delicacy when we come through again in August/September.

The Recreation Hotel did receive some damage in the quake but it was been repaired and looks a treat. I remember my mother saying something about some family member once owning the Rec as it is known. We decided to walk off our lunch and wander up one side of the street and back down the other.

A little further down the road the Masonic Hall is still fenced off, but the repairs appear to be nearly completed. Same, same for the Boulder Town Hall which has been repaired and we were fortunate that the hall was open for viewing. The Goatcher Curtain is a priceless work of art hung in the Boulder Town Hall. It is believed to be the last remaining working stage curtain of its kind, which was rediscovered entirely by accident. This spectacular curtain depicts the scene of the Bay of Naples, and has hung in the hall since 1908. Philip Goatcher painted the stage curtain and he is famous as a premier painter in this particular area of the theatre. You can get more information about him at http://www.goacher.org/notables/phil

I could not get the whole curtain in one photograph so had to do it in three sections. Careful examination of the side panels will show just how talented this man was, his use of light and the depiction of satin in exquisite.

Across the road from the Town Hall is the Grand Hotel which is a very sad looking building at the present time. Not only is it shabby but repairs have not begun - such a pity. Hopefully it will be done into the future.

One of the things which is most impressive about Kalgoorlie Boulder these days is the amount of effort which has been put into upgrading the visual amenity of the area. All over the towns there are numerous roundabouts beautifully landscaped with a combination of native shrubs, annual plants and the South African import the gazania. They are an absolute picture.

The Albion Hotel has quite badly affected and as we walked past they were putting the final coat of varnish on the beautiful jarrah trim around the main entrance.

By now we were in the block where the worst damage had occurred and there is still scaffolding on both sides of the road and many workers labouring away making repairs. However when you see the results of their work they had done an excellent job. Photos 14 and 18 shows the final results. Many of the buildings have far different uses from when I was a child. The former Woolworths is now a medical centre as one example.

The Metropole hotel was one of the most badly damaged buildings and no work has yet commenced on it. It is such a great looking building. When I was working here in the late 1990's this pub was known as a bikies pub - now they were the only hotel which had a sign saying they would accept Seniors Cards. Is this a sign of a new demographic in the bikie community?

Now we were on our way back to the Recreatation Hotel. The Court hotel was renovated in the 1990's but has been closed as a licensed premises for ages. The picture theatre, our final photograph, in now a youth centre. I remember going to the movies when I was a teenager. There were 4 theatres, Palace, Regent and Cremorne in Kalgoorlie and the Palace in Boulder. Movies would circulate through the theatres over a three weekly basis and it was the main form of entertainment. Three of the theatres also had outdoor cinemas for those long balmy summer nights complete with deck chairs. We could buy choc top icecreams and there were locally made potato chips called Kingy's Chips.

Next we decided to go and view the super pit, one of Chris's favourite places. Watching the co-ordination between the trucks and loaders is fantastic also ballet like because of the precision with which they work. Got to the gate and there was a sign to say "Lookout closed for maintenance". How rude is that. Oh well, we will put it on the list for when we come back through along with the Goldfields Water Scheme and the Goldfields Museum.

Mieke has just said that the bush two-up is operating tomorrow, we will probably go out to see that tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



7th June 2014

Can't Believe It
What an informative article you have given us, makes me ashamed of how I have previously defamed poor old Boulder. You certainly uncovered far more History & have brought it to life not only for myself but Rob who knew nothing of the stage curtain etc etc etc. several other followers of this blog will go off, make a cuppa then settle down to re-read it & remember their own memories of The Goldfields in general. You have opened a real can of worms for all of us. As I write this, Rob is at the computer communicating with John Sullivan (MOLDY) who will love this posting & as he is Conversational Lunching tomorrow with Mick Della Marta will be armed with the making of the longest conversational Lunch ever. Johns Wife Marg nee Margaret Robinson, a very prominent Goldfields name will also enjoy the topics. Sheila D M seems to love hearing about their days as Youngens in & around the area. Wish we were there with them. Thank you for a great piece of History & so well written.

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb