Graldton to Kalbarri


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
July 18th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kalbarri surfKalbarri surfKalbarri surf

Thanks Marg. Timing is everything in photography.
Thursday arrived with clear skies and a cool breeze. No longer the gusty winds of the past several days, so on the road by 8:30 heading north.

The first planned stop was Northampton, a heritage listed town first gazetted in 1864, making this the second oldest town in WA. The area prospered with a solid history of cropping and grazing as well as a variety of mining ventures. The town was also the terminus for WA's first public railway linking this area with the port of Geraldton. Modern transport has seen the demise of the railway dominance of yesteryear. Taking pride of place in the main street is the Catholic Church. The Architect for this church project also built the Catholic Cathedral in Geraldton as well as several others in the region. While there are some similarities in styling, I think this is the best with a great rustic stone exterior. Very attractive.

Northampton also has one of the few remaining general stores still operating as it would have 100 years ago. The window display brought a laugh or two with an interesting display of signs to hang in the home. 'Parents for sale, buy one, get one free!'
Catholic ChurchCatholic ChurchCatholic Church

Northampton


We headed west from Northampton towards Kalbarri expecting to take some photos of Pink Lake and Port Gregory. Seemed a simple task, but it seems our eyes and the camera's eye saw the same scene somewhat differently. The lake was brilliant pink, photos grey, blue, but only a few really reflected the scene as we all witnessed it. So I have tweaked a photo to show what we saw as against what the camera recorded.

Port Gregory is a little port inside a long coral lagoon. There is a small entry from the ocean, and coastal tramps came here to pick up lead from a local lead mine. Now just a fishing port, lobster being the main product.

From Port Gregory we rounded the bottom of Pink Lake and headed for Kalbarri. On the eastern side of the lake we came across a chemical manufacturing plant. The pink colour of the lake is Beta-carotene. Here this valuable compound is extracted from the lake and sold around the world.

After setting up camp at Kalbarri we had lunch and then walked to the visitor's information centre to get the low down on access to Nature's window (access
Family storeFamily storeFamily store

Northampton. The signs in the window display gave us a laugh or two.
has been closed while the old rough road is sealed) and found that we will be able to view that feature tomorrow.

We also walked around the foreshore to the harbour entrance. The combination of tides, river flow and a heavy swell made for some spectacular sea scapes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Guard BoxGuard Box
Guard Box

Ruins between Northampton and Pink Lake
Recently restoredRecently restored
Recently restored

Convict prison. Convicts worked the mill, farm and a lead mine.
Still to be resoredStill to be resored
Still to be resored

Part of same convict prison ruins
Original stablesOriginal stables
Original stables

On prison farm
Pink LakePink Lake
Pink Lake

The difference between the eye and the camera.
Pink LakePink Lake
Pink Lake

Probably the nearest to actual colour of the lake, not quite as rich as we saw.
Port GregoryPort Gregory
Port Gregory

Fishing boat safely protected by the coral reef that extended north/south as far as the eye could see.
Wind and surfWind and surf
Wind and surf

Conflicting currents make for spectacular sea scapes
Red RocksRed Rocks
Red Rocks

Kalbarri
Returning to portReturning to port
Returning to port

A skilled helmsman brings the fishing boat safely through the surf into the calm waters of the Kalbarri bay.
Shimmering silhouetteShimmering silhouette
Shimmering silhouette

Kalbarri waterfront
Kalbarri harbourKalbarri harbour
Kalbarri harbour

A quiet afternoon fishing


19th July 2013

Great shots
Another good blog amazing the difference from the camera and the eye at the pink lake.
19th July 2013

A beautiful part of the country
Wow, you've got some great photos here.
20th July 2013

pink lake
just stunning,so beautiful, am glad you are seeing so much beauty and sharing it with me.love Jakii

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb