Yanchep to Geraldton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Geraldton
July 16th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have had a great couple of months in Perth before today heading off to tackle stage two of our trip around The Block.

Our family have been building a new home north of Perth so we have enjoyed seeing the progress from a concrete slab when we arrived to a house close to lock up. Their home looks to be very spacious, and they have taken care with sun angles for their layout as they do have long hot summers here. We have spent weekends with them enjoying a great variety of different activities.

Ben is a Lego Maniac not only building to plan, but adapting ideas creating some great items. He has been building houses over the last couple of weeks and has made quicker progress than Mum and Dad.

Beckie is a potential vet or doctor always bringing pets for repair from broken bones to ear infections. Time will tell.

We will miss their energy and chatter until we return to Perth in the future to see their completed home.

The weather forecast for Tuesday was dominated by wind warnings for the West Australian coast south of Jurian Bay. We had coupled the
Waiting, searching, weepingWaiting, searching, weepingWaiting, searching, weeping

Bronze at HMAS Sydney II memorial
trailer and truck the night before, ready for our get away in the morning. We had squalls overnight, but as we left Yanchep the heavens opened. We were blessed though, because we came out of the rain and seemed to travel north through a blue sky tunnel with heavy clouds east and west of us. While we had a couple of quick squalls, the wind warning became quite relevant as the winds by late morning made driving hazardous. No scares with emus or 'roos, but as usual when Marg is driving, we had to pull over left to let Trixie past. There are so many BIG toys moved through this area. Things like harvesters and mining machinery are all supersized.

As we got closer to Geraldton we drove through great pastoral land and then into large areas of canola and grain crops. I was talking to a local farmer who lamented the lack of rain and how it was slowing the crops and would probably reduce yields, certainly for the early planted crops. The good news of Tuesday is that most of this area got a decent fall of rain with more expected, and the farmer felt that the
Hitched upHitched upHitched up

Ready for the road north to Kalbarri and north.
later plantings would benefit the most as far as yields go.

This area has known drought and hardship. One of the areas is centred around the town of Walkaway. You guessed it, after three rotations of crops failed due to drought, the locals just walked away.

Marg and I visited Geraldton briefly a couple of years ago, and in a way, those first impressions have coloured our view of this bustling coastal city. The locals describe it as a busy city with a touch of country. Our impressions is that it is a disorganised city in need of more planning. Parking is a big issue for visitors who have a motorhome or caravan.

Having said that, we both agree that travellers through this area should spend a day or two here. The Museum at the waterfront is a MUST. To get a grip of early colonial life, one needs to know about the heart break of a new colony/nation. The wreck of the ship Batavia a little north west from here illustrates the difficulty of navigation in the area with so many reefs and unexpected wind storms multiplying the errors of 17th century navigation. This ship was beset with murder, mutiny and horrific ship wreck.

In addition, the museum has a number of great displays which change from time to time. They had a display of the western outback reflecting earlier time and included some wonderful displays of native fauna. There is a kangaroo much taller than my 185cms, and a possum smaller than my thumb.

Geraldton also has to my mind one of Australia's most important war memorials. On the hill side overlooking the city and port, there is the memorial to the HMAS Sydney II that was sunk by a German Rader off the coast of WA. The battleship went down with the total loss of all crew. The attacking German boat also sank after the captain ordered it scuttled before un stoppable fire and damage would sink it anyway. Sombre - Yes. Are we grateful to that crew - YES. The German raider had sunk at least 11 other ships previously using disguise for surprise. There is a marvellous bronze sculpture of a women scanning the seas for the return of her hubby and his ship. I love this place of remembrance.

Through bad timing, we missed the opportunity to visit
TrixieTrixieTrixie

Yet another big load to avoid on the road.
the Catholic Cathedral in Geraldton. The designer and builder built many Catholic churches in this part of WA. Tours are now very limited as far as days and times go which is a pity.

Travel is not without issues, and we had a new water leakage problem this week. Water (clean) seeped from the toilet, but only when we were driving. After some nut scratching I had worked out that this water must be leaking from the flushing ring and down the inside covering of the loo. I phoned Batavia Caravans who as luck had it had a serviceman familiar with the vacuum toilet and he was free to have a look at the problem Wednesday Afternoon. So we rocked up and within 30 minutes the water leak source had been found, and confirmed my thinking. Unfortunately the part we would need replaced was not available, so they have done some plumbing modification to resolve the problem. We will know the outcome tomorrow after we let the glue fully cure. They also installed an isolation valve so that any recurrence will not create the same drama. Good on you Batavia Caravans for great friendly service and a reasonable charge.

We both chuckled at the sign on the wall of the workshop regarding the hourly charges.

Thursday we will move a little north to Kalbarri after David has Batavia Caravans look at his fresh water tanks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Kite surfingKite surfing
Kite surfing

Geraldton Beach close to the Moore Point lighthouse
Charge out ratesCharge out rates
Charge out rates

A sign of the times.
Replica Pilot yatch Replica Pilot yatch
Replica Pilot yatch

This would have been common in the late 1700s.
Bristol Bi PlaneBristol Bi Plane
Bristol Bi Plane

One pilot, one passenger, but the start of air services by QANTAS in outback Qld
Smaller than my thumbSmaller than my thumb
Smaller than my thumb

A honey eating possum
Tall 'RooTall 'Roo
Tall 'Roo

I could only just reach his ears at full stretch
Oh wise oneOh wise one
Oh wise one

Don't you just love the owls face? Shame this is a stuffed one!
BataviaBatavia
Batavia

Artists impression.
The Batavia wreckThe Batavia wreck
The Batavia wreck

There had been a competition amongst school children to make dioramas of the Batavia wreck.
Stone ArchwayStone Archway
Stone Archway

Rocks carried as ballast on Batavia intended to create archways at a grand homestead.
Stowage in the BataviaStowage in the Batavia
Stowage in the Batavia

The Batavia was a relatively shallow draft ship for its size. Hence heavy goods were stowed low in the hull to improve stability. On the fatal journey, these rocks would have been stowed right at hold floor level.
HMAS Sydney IIHMAS Sydney II
HMAS Sydney II

Pool reminding of the watery grave of the ship and her total crew.
Flag flying against ominous skyFlag flying against ominous sky
Flag flying against ominous sky

A solemn reminder of the cost and horror of war.


19th July 2013

Good blog again
Enjoyed the comments and the photos lots of history over there sad about the Sydney

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb