The Big Six-0


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
January 20th 2015
Published: January 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

One of Andy (B"s) Balloons, his cake had so many candles that it was a fire hazard
The Big Six-0



It would be fair to say that I continually wish my life away, why? Well we are always doing something or going somewhere, so once an event has been completed and we are on the way home, I am excited to be thinking of the next forth coming adventure.

We have only been back at work for two weeks after the most amazing Christmas get away to the awesomely beautiful Cape Arid and once we were back and all the chores were done like bedding washed and so on, and Roobie prepared we were on our way again, for this weekend, that we are calling the Big Six-O.

We have had three birthdays within our little group in the last week, firstly Peter Walker on the 11th, then Karen on the 14th and finally Andy Bayley on the 20th, so a secret party was organised some time ago with some close friends and the venue was at Myalup Pines, South of where we are In Fremantle.

This was Andy’s 60th Birthday and he was specific that he didn’t want any kind of party or fuss, so it all had to be kept
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

The Back of our Chalet Number 5
hushed up, which was difficult as a lot of the planning was done about 4 months ago and as we all see each other on a regular basis we had to make sure the cat was not let out of the bag.

When I was convalescing from the stroke and I had time on my hands, Karen asked if I fancied a trip out to scope the venue for the party which must have been about the third week in September I was glad to get out of the house and get some fresh air in my lungs so I jumped at the chance.

Caroline had given me her approval to go on the understanding I took it easy, and I thought sitting in the back seat of the car, with Karen at the wheel and Olivia Karen’s daughter in the front passenger seat I could just lookout of the window and watch the world go by, what could be better, oh and a stop for a cup of coffee and a spot of lunch.

The sun was shining, it was a beautiful day and Karen arrived to pick me up and we travelled down heading towards
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

Out door dining, what could be better than this, Hots days, hot nights, cool mornings, awesome.
Bunbury to look at this place Called Myalup Pines, which consisted of seven cottages that could accommodate up to 8 people each and set in the most beautiful rustic surrounds.

The Myalup Pines project was supported by the Lions club and when the project was undertaken a superb kitchen was devolved and the facilities were quite amazing, so when planning the epic event, we knew that we could cater for everyone with ease.

So whilst away at Christmas with Andy and Karen, it was my job to invent a situation where I had to commit Andy to some kind of outing on his birthday weekend that would include Peter and Karen who were equally having a birthday and if you remember Andy did not want a party, so by getting everyone together at a location, to celebrate all three birthday’s Andy would not smell a rat.So the scene was set, I had told Andy (B) that we were all going down to Myalup as I had found some cottages where we could stay and have a bit of a laugh, have a few beers and a couple of meals and generally have some fun.

So on Friday night I picked Caroline up from the station in Fremantle, the truck was already packed and we were off.

We arrived at about 6.40 and went to the caretakers lodge, all the cottages had been assigned to different people we were in Cottage 5 with Nesta and Brian and Peter and Leigh.

The only thing that was not provided for us was bed linen so Karen had provided it all and she had come down earlier with her daughter and made up all the beds.

By the time we arrived most people were already there, and Andy was sitting there fully aware what was happening, a mate of his had flown over from over East who he had not seen for many years, John and his wife Anne were farmers who had recently sold the farm and retired to the coast so when I found out Johns back ground Caroline and I could regale our adventures on Robert and Helen’s Farm.

We sat with everyone in the evening sunshine, it was a warm night, nibbles being served along with drinks it was an easy fun time, we gave Andy (B) his birthday present which was his
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

The war memorial in Yarloop, it was paid for by the sleeper cutters.
personalised number plate for his 4 wheel drive, a gift from Peter and Leigh Walker Bill and Aurora and Caroline and myself.

At last Caroline and I had no more secrets to keep, as we had kept the party a secret, Andy’s new HF radio a secret so many secrets and so hard to keep, we breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed.

It had been 38 degree’s on Friday a beautiful hot day without a cloud in the sky, and it promised for a really warm night, the beds had a summer doona (quilt) that was really thin and a fan on Max in the bedroom, I managed to stay up until about 9.30 and then I just had to go to bed as I was shattered, Caroline followed shortly after.

We again awoke to a glorious morning the Kookaburra’s were up about 4.30 laughing as they do, I lay listening to the sounds of the morning it was blissful, I wandered out on to the veranda after I had made tea and the morning was so still, I noticed Bill was out of his Cabin having a morning cigarette and his coffee. An hour later
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

You can ring my bell!!
Brian joined me on the veranda, followed by Caroline and then Nesta, we enjoyed chatting and watching the morning turn into the day.

Once everyone was up, the only thing that was on our minds was breakfast so the BBQ was lit and eggs and bacon were soon cooking, eventually we all tucked in whilst sitting around the tables under the tree’s.

Being Andy’s birthday it was only fair to ask the birthday boy what he wanted to do on his birthday, it was decided that he wanted to go to the Yarloop steam workshop, then a quick squizz up to Skipworth wines where we have all been before, their ruby port is fantastic.

So with a mini convoy we all drove in to Yarloop and rocked up at the steam workshops to have a look around, it was fantastic, I know the girls were a bit bored, but the fella’s thought it was awesome, so much to see, great things like railway engines, saws and static engines a real boys haven.

There was a machine there from my home town of Birmingham in the UK from a company called Tangey’s, and as a small boy
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

Karen Photo Bombed my picture
possibly 9 or 10 years old, my father took me to Tangey’s as he was either delivering or collecting with his truck, I can remember sitting patiently in the passenger seat waiting for him to return and wow I was instantly transported back so many years to being a small boy again.

I could tell Caroline was bored as she and Karen slipped off to do morning tea for everyone, the people at the steam shed said we could use their dining room, so tea was laid on along with biscuits and cake.

Once morning tea was done and dusted we were off the Skipworth wines, for our third visit in the last 6 months, we always love going to see Kim the owner as he is a great guy and we get to sample his wines before making a purchase.

One thing that came up whilst taking to Kim was he wondered if we fancied doing some grape picking as the next harvest was due soon, the fruits were just on the turn, it involved starting at 7.30 am and he expected it would take about4 ½ hours for a team of two to go down
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

Yarloop Steam Workshops.
I row of a vine with one on one side and the other opposite and pick all the grapes cutting them off the vines with special clippers then once the row was done, come back on yourself and do a second row and that was all.

He would then put on a lunch, then we go in to the winery and get involved with some of the wine making process, which I would think, would be fun, so the usual gang of us are going to give him a call towards the end of February to see if we can get involved.

It would have been rude of us not to make a purchase at Skipworths, and took away a few bottles of his Ruby Port.

Once we were all done we all decided to chugg off back to camp as we had been out most of the day, so off we went and were soon back to carry on lounging around.

The afternoon was really warm and we sat in the dining room with the air conditioning on as the sun had a real bite to it, the humidity was high so the air conditioning
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

Caroline pretending to look interested.
was a cool relief.

Andy put the BBQ on to cook dinner, a shame the birthday boy had to cook his own dinner, but life is tough sometimes, the potatoes bake needed to be cooked and the salad prepared, deserts we premade and brought with us for ease.

When all the meat was cooked we formed an orderly queue and served ourselves, what a great dinner we all had, the facilities at Myalup Pines were just terrific.

We sat around in the heat of the evening just talking and having a giggle, then as usual it was time for bed, it was going to be one of those nights when you just slept on top of the bed again as it was just so damned hot and it is lovely to wake up in the cool of the morning before the heat starts again. Just one of those little pleasures of living in this climate.

I woke at 5.00 am and sat out again on the veranda with a cup of tea, the morning was just beautiful, so peaceful and tranquil, well it was until the others got up and disrupted my morning serenity.

I
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0The Big Six-0

The Saw sharpening shop, (Say that when your pissed)
was sad to be leaving this jewel of a place, I felt I had such a connection with the place as it was absolutely lovely and I think we will be here again soon.

The birthday boy wandered over as the six of us where making a bit of a din, telling jokes and laughing at things, we did some group photos then Andy went off to do breakfast, as we were all starving.

As soon as breakfast was done and the plates and everything had been tidied and put back in the kitchen we packed our gear and headed back to Fremantle as we still had to shop for our Fonty’s Pool trip next week and of course do the washing for our forth coming short week at work.

We had had a truly amazing time at Myalup pines, it was so easy, no fussing, just good easy fun with good people, who are like minded and to celebrate Andy birthday was such a good memory we didn’t want it to end.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

The Yarloop Steam Sheds
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

The Yarloop Steam Sheds
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

Leigh and Caroline were going to steal a train, oh yes they were.
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

Team Photo
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

This machine has just been approved by safe Work Australia
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

Old Lathe
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

I did like this sign.
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

Tangyes of Birmingham, I went to Tangyes with my dad when I was possibly 9 or 10 in his truck, and I never thought I would be the other side of the world and see this, how awesome.
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

What a pair of nuts, I bet they were about 300mm across the flats and were on a piston that was huge.
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

From Skipworth wines, over looking the Valley
The Big Six-0The Big Six-0
The Big Six-0

A regal Wave from the Balcony


21st January 2015

Big 60
It sounds like it was a great weekend! I'm glad everything went off without a hitch. Cheers, N.
26th January 2015

Th Big Six-0
Hi Naomi, Hope you are well and thank you for the comment on the blog, wow it was a great weekend and everyone seemd to have a good time. Our regards and best wishes. A+C

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb