The perils of camping.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
September 26th 2011
Published: September 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Who would have thought the gentle pursuit of caravanning and camping could be so dangerous. First of all there is the risk of dying of boredom being the passenger while traveling from point A to point B or C or D etc. If you can survive that, then you must contend will everything Mother Nature throws at you. At Fitzroy Crossing, warnings had been posted about Singapore ants, tiny ants that would get into everything, so they recommended spraying around table and chair legs and even the wheels with ant spray to guard against them. At Turkey Creek/Warnum, we had to contend with bulls marauding through the van park. At Wycliffe’s Well there was a not to friendly donkey roaming around freely. In Karijini National Park, campers were warned about wild dingos, and told not to leave any food or children lying around. (We all know that dingoes are inclined to steal both.) Now at Exmouth, there are signs advising that venomous Western Brown Snakes have been sighted in the park recently. Perhaps it is safer to stay home and watch TV.
Nature isn’t all-bad. We have seen some wonderful things in our travels, and today was no exception. We went snorkelling of the beach after lunch, and saw a few different fish and a ray of some sort. No coral though, unfortunately. We then decided to try our luck at fish again, our destination being near the wreck of The Mildura on the northern point of Exmouth. When we arrived there, we were lucky enough to see several very large turtles, two of which seemed to have been playing out that famous scene from On The Beach on the edge of the reef. They were a lot bigger than the turtles we saw at Broome. Of shore, three humpback whales frolicked and put on quite a performance. At on stage, one of them darted straight up out of the water. What a privilege it is to see these magnificent creatures.
We fished for a while with minimal success. Frank caught a small cod which had to be thrown back. I didn’t have my camera with me, so couldn’t take a picture as proof that we did actually catch a fish. We both love fishing and are disappointed that we are having no luck. Maybe tomorrow, after our snorkelling tour in the morning, we will have more success with our fishing. The man in the van next to us had given us a bit of advise. If all goes well, we will be having whiting for dinner tomorrow night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011.6kb