Well deserved day off


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
December 2nd 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, after all our activities today is a well derseved lazy day.
With the exception of Paul and Sarah (the honeymoon couple) and the Canadians who had booked to go deep sea fishing (fresh fish for tea hopefully - the pressure was on) the rest of us set off from the camp at about 8.30am and Steve took us to the Yardie Creek Gorge. Not as beautiful as the Z bend but this one had water. Thank goodness for the fly nets - think they are the best investment ever as well - the flies are everywhere.
After that it was a short drive down to Turquoise Bay - it was breathtaking. Like a postcard but even better.
We picked up some snorkelling gear and I was off into the sea - unfortunatley the visability wasn't as clear hear as the reef was a lot more closer to the shore so all the sand was being dragged up in the current. But it was still good and I even saw a small shark! Di thought she saw a stone fish - they're nasty little creatures that sit on the bottom of the sea disguised as stones. If you stand on one it shoots spikes up off it back that inject poison into you - can be fatal. Steve told us if this ever happened, the best thing to do was stand in as hotter water as you can bear as this breaks up the poison - urine is now old hat apparently!
After a bit of sunbathing, lunch and a quick game of pass the ball in the sea we headed back to the camp and had a dip in the pool.
As it was so hot (40 degrees in the shade apparently) I nipped to the bottle shop across the road and was amazed that there were wild white parrots squaking to my left and a wild emu following me on my right - what an amazing country.
Paul, Sarah and the canadians came back from fishing and good news - we had dinner! The fish were massive, some bigger than my body! They caught blue eye cod (very tasty and expensive in shops) snappers and mackeral. As none of the group knew how to gut a fish properly an ozzy family staying on the camp offered to cook it for us in exchange for some fish - the hospitally is unreal.
After the compulsory singing of Waltzing Matilda and Adelvise from Yugo on the guitar we learned our italian friend Mateo some english slang - it was soo funny as he was actually saying it better than us!
He's now frequent in 'How's it going mate' 'cream crackered' 'good ey' and 'your taking the p*ss out of me', job done!
A couple more Pure Blonds later we all were in bed by 10.30pm, starting our journey back to Perth Tomorrow and it's a 10 hour drive!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb