Day ? - Eucla, WA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Eucla
September 28th 2016
Published: September 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

DSC_1553DSC_1553DSC_1553

Baxter Cliffs - looking East
A quick start to the morning today and then a short drive of 190 km odd to Eucla. We had a few stops at lookouts over the cliffs into the Great Australian Bight, but other than that we headed straight on to arrive at a bit before 11 am, due to the timezone change.

Unfortunately the caravan park has only one washing machine and it is out of order, therefore the dirty washing bag now holds over half of our clothes and takes up a fair bit of room in the trailer, but never fear, we have a plan in place. A quick 708 km to Norseman including one overnight stay in a rest area. Norseman is the last major town before we hit Perth.

Arriving so early meant we sort of had a lot of the day to relax, shower, fish (not catch) anmd hang about in the camp kitchen area like a bunch of European back packers. It is a small little place that used to have up to 100 inhabitants but I reckon that would be below 20 these days and most of those would work at the caravan park/motel/servo.

A quick fishing expedition was a complete failure but worth the drive and fun of seeing the kids re-learn how to cast after so many years in (reasonable) fishless ACT. A flathead or whiting or even a mullet would do! Se saw the ruins of the Eucla telegraph station as well which was a bit strange as it looks now as though they had built it in sand dunes, although I am sure that back in the mid 1800s that the dunes had not reached nearly that far. We heard that the sand dunes are moving inland at over 11 metres per year around the bight.

Looks like I have been summonsed for a quick hit of cricket so that'll do for now. I think I have forgotten my work PC password so that is a good sign!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

DSC_1563DSC_1563
DSC_1563

Nice little fella eating the bugs out of my grille
DSC_1564DSC_1564
DSC_1564

Pretty sure this me getting smashed by my kids at cards


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb