Nullabor to Caiguna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Eucla
July 9th 2016
Published: July 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

So our journey has broken into new territory today as we crossed into Western Australia.
We left the Nullabor roadhouse this morning in ground level cloud, heavy rain and a miserable 7 degrees and it has rained all night so I rejoiced in our decision not to camp.
So we reached the border with no incidents other than every time a huge road train passes going the other way there is a moment of blind, watery maelstrom as the air displaced and the water makes things interesting.
It's a club here on the Nullabor and everyone gives a little wave, we slowed down to check on a guy pulled over who was grateful but needed no help.
At the border a delightful official checked our car for forbidden stuff like fruit and veg but we had pre-emptively scoffed it all.
We stopped at Eucla to visit the old Telegraph Station. The building is a ruin being consumed by the sand but there was still enough left to imagine what it was like and that would have been a tough and lonely job back in the day.
At the back was an old tree in which a flock of Major Mitchell cockatoos were sheltering from the wind - there must have been more than 20! As these are rare birds in Victoria we were excited.
Anyway as the day went on and we continued west the weather deteriorated again to very strong wind and periods of intense rain.
After a short one-sided discussion we are once again enjoying a motel room at Caiguna. Tomorrow is our last push for Esperence where we also do not plan to camp so this blog is rather short on camping at the moment-hope you don't all think we are too soft.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb