Coral Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
April 25th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Termite MoundsTermite MoundsTermite Mounds

Sandy inspecting one side
Coral Bay was everything it's name lives up to. When Sandy I rocked up, we were like giddy school children in a candy store. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. This little sea side holiday destination is the most stunning beach we've come across to date. The picturesque skyline , highlighted by the aqua water, clear water, then white sand stretched forever up the coast. We jumped out the car , and ran down the beach to be ankle deep and have massive massive fish swim up close to have peek at our ankles. This was the first snap shot of what was in store for us as soon as we stuck our heads under water with snorkles.

So excited we got back to the car, put our gear on and headed down to Main bay - the beach . The fish came from everywhere as soon as we were in, they must of thought we had come with food, as it's a common practise for peeps to put burley in the pockets or bread. You can walk for 50 metres of cystal clear water from ankles to knees, then you reach the coral in shallow waters, in abudance
Termite MoundsTermite MoundsTermite Mounds

Sandy inspecting the other side
of tropical fish and crazy crazy coral, the further you go the deaper the coral. It's seriously an adventure playground out there.

Absolutely buzzing and stoked, we grabbed some beers and headed to what ever camping was left (Anzac Weekend- Totally booked) Found us a spot and popped up the tent whilst having a yarn to our friendly neighbours from Tom Price. They had been holidaying the area for years and years and knew some great spots for Sandy and I to try out, and we did indeed.

Later that afternoon, after a few more brews we hit the main beach again, this time walking around the bay so the tide /current would carry us back to the main beach - as thats the smart way to snorkle. This time round we had the afternoon shift of fish and still couldn't believe what we were seeing. Turtles and all !!! Found ourselves in direct boat traffic as we werent aware of the bouys and hearing a really loud noise (boat horn ) under water thought i was going to meet a whale shark. Ah nope , just a really really large inpatient leisure boat !!

Went for
The best beach in the worldThe best beach in the worldThe best beach in the world

The one time i lied out on the beach , check out my freckle tan . . . ahh
a walk in the evening down the beach , did a bit of star gazing then ventured to the main hotel, which was going off to Freda who was on tour, Sandy worked with a girl at the shire who was good friends with this extremley talented angel from W.A. We sat and listened for a while, then when i had the chance went and chatted with her to pick up some handy hints for writing music and travelling on the road and touring and all that exciting stuff. Freda has been on the music scene for 9 years, so my prem 1 year career still has time . . .

Got up early and headed out for another lazy snorkle down main bay, then took our 4wd and found us this great spot Blue Lagoon. I tell you what that experience will be with me forever. The reef outside the blue lagoon is exposed and is open for everything in the deep blue sea. Included sharks. So when tash see's one after chasing a cheeky turtle, shits herself, in a lot of jerky hand jestures under water to sandy , signals a shark and starts swimming to safety.
Coral Bay Coral Bay Coral Bay

Amazing
Due to the commotion caused the shark followed us , so heres me swimming back and spotting it out the corner of my eye, point the shark out to sandy again, before he has time to react, i'm submerged on the reef 9 metres to the left. Imagine the sight, lady in bikini on reef with snorkle and flippers hanging on for dear life. Not realising the danger i had put myself in by climbing the reef and the waves that were coming in, sandys coxing me off the reef back into the water telling me it's not that big , and it'll be fine, get back in the water so we can swim to shore. QUick flash i was in and then back on shore only to realise the quick flash mtions had caused me a few war wounds. Back on shore sharing the story with a few locals, they were amused saying 'yeh we saw a whole bunch , they are only little reef shark, they won't bite'. RIghto !! That information would have been good had I remembered what i had learnt at the dam Ocean park in Denham. . . next time i'll remember. That aside we did see a sea turtle and more beautifully coloured coral fish and coral. The blue lagoon was by far the best snorkelling, your eyeballs are over stimulated by the light and colour and movements. Well worth the exercise.

Heading back to the bay, we grabbed a bit to eat and headed to Ballara Homestead to camp on a working station just out from Coral bay. We found us a hard piece of red dirt, pitched the tent had a walk around the newly established shearing quarters- turned 5 star accomodation with a really nice lady who ran the farm with her husband. Turns out massive fan of farmer wants a wife and remembered my face. Didn't get us an upgrade or anything. . . hehehhe.

Had a great night by the camp fire, drank a little and crashed under the stars. .

Next day headed to Exmouth for a day trip. . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb