Oz so far


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Carnarvon
June 20th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again all,

Just a quick blog before we head off to Coral Bay for the weekend!!
Have tried to add some photos - bit of a nightmare and took forever so sorry about them!

Since we left singapore we have had action packed few days - we arrived in Perth in the afternoon to loads of rain and went and booked our trip up the west coast to Dads.

Stayed at old swan barracks, a nice hostel just in Northbridge near the city, had a bite out and went to bed ready for the early start.

Got the 'easyrider' tour bus backpackers stop for 7am when it all began, met other travellers - Peta and Paul (mid 50s couple, lovely!), sara and laura (irish/scot - bit weird), britta, wouter, claire and jolene. lovely bunch all in all.
headed to pinnacles in cervantes. Spent lunch at the pinnacles, really amazing sight and em and i went for a swim at hangover bay afterwards although everyone else was too 'cold!' ridic!

Headed on up to Kalbarri via 'stamatolites' (i think) which are basically living rocks in the sea which breathe and which essentially created the universe (science is lacking a bit here) anyway in Kalbarri we spent the night. Next morn we went to the national park there. Saw 'natures window' - loads of sandstone sedimentary rock piled up in weird and wonderful shapes, then took a big trek down into the gorge (I abseiled half of it) - although as you can see slight disaster with my hair being caught half way down the cliff! Abseiled a 2nd time though straight away and that was amazing. Then went for a swim in the absolutely freezing gorge!!

Carried on driving up the coast afterwards and stopped early evening at Shell Beach - all the beach is shells and nothing else, truly beautiful. Again we continued until we arrived in Denham (a beautiful coastal town, home of shark bay where there is more sharks per kilometre than anywhere else in the world!!) Next morn bright and early at Monkey mia to see pelicans and dolphins - emma was chosen to feed a dolphin, great stuff but really chilly. Then we went to ocean park, a marine biology research centre where we got to see up close (and in their natural environment) sea snakes, turtles, sharks, squids etc... really interesting tour there because the guys actually go out and catch the sharks from the sea, bring them in themselves, study them for a while, then release them again.

Onwards finally to Carnarvan and Dads where we arrived yesterday afternoon - gorgeous town, Dad lives right by the river which leads out to the sea, house is lovely.

Went to Carly's assembly this morning where she received a term award for being great so that was nice. Saw Dad's school as well, all very aussie - now back to the garden to try and get a spot of sunbathing in before we leave (although the wind is extremely chilly, behind shelter its about 25 - perfect!)

Sorry this is so quick and perfunctory, but hope everyone is good and can you keep the emails coming in pleasy?? Love loads and loads and loads xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb