Along the boardwalk, in the sun


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
November 8th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 224 (04.11.07)

Our bus left Bunbury late morning and we made our way the short distance to Busselton. Busselton is famous for it's wooden boardwalk jetty that stretches almost 2km into the ocean. It's the longest jetty in the Southern hemisphere and is only beaten to the world title by the one in Southend-on-Sea. An amazing piece of trivia I'm sure will help you out in Trivial Pursuit one day.

It was a beautiful day and having left our packs in the bus office we made our way down to another beautiful beach with the jetty as its impressive centrepiece. We walked out to the end of the jetty where we would visit the Busselton Underwater Observatory. A huge tank with windows has been sunk to the ocean floor (around 8m deep) and you're able to view life under the waves in this natural aquarium. The fish aren't fed or fenced in so what you can see differs every day.

This place is excellent, we saw a huge variety of fish including a huge school of small yellowtailed fish that remained for most of our visit. It was almost like diving (without getting wet!) and it made us want to get properly under the water again - this diving is an addictive activity!

After our visit we walked back to the shore and felt that as we were at the seaside it would only be right to have an icecream - any excuse.

After a lovely afternoon in Busselton we caught our bus to Margaret River. We were collected from the bus stop by the guy who runs the hostel we'd booked into and we then settled in and made some dinner and some plans for the next few days.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.547s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 41; qc: 181; dbt: 0.4561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb