Happy birthday to me !!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
November 23rd 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tutunup Sunset...Tutunup Sunset...Tutunup Sunset...

Look at the picture and add the sound of three Japanese girls squealing with amazement and it is just like actually being there...
Thanks to the wonders of international air travel I can enjoy a swift breakfast in Bangkok, have lunch in Brunei, and be back at the hostel in Perth in time for dinner! The time spent on planes, trains and automobiles to get from A to B is often pretty mundane, and I've done it all so regularly now that a journey of over 4,000 miles in a day can be relatively painless.

So I arrived back in Perth virtually penniless. Luckily there is plenty of work available for a backpacker in WA as long they aren't too fussy! I went to one of the many work agencies in central Perth and they sorted me out with a job straight away, pulling leaves off grape trees at a farm near Busselton. When I went to the grape farm I had images of a picturesque vineyard, with free or dirt cheap wine for the workers. But sadly not, they produce table grapes, and they hadn't matured yet so we couldn't even eat the grapes !!

The work was dull but there was cheap accomodation staying at a delapidated farmhouse with the other co-workers. They were a good bunch, three Germans who had been travelling around in a clapped out old Holden, and five Japanese, who all came out of their shells a bit once we got a few beers in them !!

So due to my usual lack of creating travel plans to any particular date, I found myself working on the farm when my birthday came around. With very little resources the guys managed a little surprise party for me, this was entirely unexpected and much appreciated. A good night was had by all, and it broke up the monotony of the working week a bit, which was a real bonus!

After the work finished, I decided to go back to Perth for a bit rather than going straight on to another job down south. It is good to be back in the city, with so many of the conveniences that just aren't available in the more rural areas. Every time I come back to Perth I see a lot of familiar faces and know all of the regulars at the hostel there, so much so that it is now beginning to feel like a bit of a soft option. Travelling should be about new experiences, new places,
The leaf pluckers...The leaf pluckers...The leaf pluckers...

Left to right: Eric, Sonja, Rena, Kozue, Kayo, Michael, Koichi, Kosuke.
and new people. It is all to easy to fall into the trap of staying here, socialising with the same faces at the same bars on the same set nights of the week. I reckon I'll cut my time short here and go for a different farm job, as funds don't allow for any more travelling at the moment.

Time is already becoming my enemy! I have plenty more to see in the world before I return home next year, and I am determined to make the most of it. I am sure however that there will be quite a few more quality blogs to come yet...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Plucked trees!Plucked trees!
Plucked trees!

The fruits of our labour. (I should give up on these terrible puns!)
Tutunup rain!Tutunup rain!
Tutunup rain!

Reminds me of home...
Clouds on fire.Clouds on fire.
Clouds on fire.

This isn't down to photographic genius or digital tinkering, it is just the way the light caught the clouds for a moment.
Pancake.Pancake.
Pancake.

A staple part of our diet on the farm. And here is my name written in the medium of pancake. Er, thanks Eric!
Inside the house...Inside the house...
Inside the house...

Including the Germans Berlin wall of cans. Oooh, 'home and away' is on the telly!


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 14; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb