The Bungle Bungles!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Bungle Bungles
November 6th 2007
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

More photos here...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12463&l=a5708&id=510918332

Here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12463&l=a5708&id=510918332

And here!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12466&l=2b568&id=510918332

-E


After our disturbed night's sleep, we struggled awake at half 6 when the sun came up (I'll get used to these early mornings eventually) and set off for Hidden Valley - named for its great viewpoint from the top where you could see the mountains for miles around. Nice early morning walk, although quite hot again at 8am. Jane the daredevil was the first to climb up the highest rock; I found the easier route round the other side which was almost a proper path! Took some good pictures and headed back down to the bus where we set off for a long journey to Purnalulu National park.

'Purnalulu' means 'sandstone' in the local Aboriginal language, and the area is also known as the Bungle Bungle ranges! Love the name - either it's a misprononciation of 'bundle' grasses or named after the animals, or landscapes - no-one seems to be able to decide. Stopped for lunch at Turkey Creek and got pictures of one of the huge road trains. The driver was on the road for 3 weeks from Brisbane - sleeping in his truck with 3000 litres of fuel on board, and has a month off before doing it all again.

Had a VERY bumpy ride once we reached Mabel Downs - through really steep waters and up and down steep hills - realised how sturdy our 4WD truck was! Was feeling very hot and tired as you couldn't nod off on the rocky roads, so was glad when we had a break for a toilet stop. As Jim says, 'Every tree's a Lavatree!!' Got to our little campsite where we put up our tents just before it started raining. Still so hot when we got to bed, I was actually sweating underneath our waterproof tent sheet.

Was great to get out of our tent in the early hours of Tuesday morning as it was so much cooler than inside! Had a thorough wash with a hose(!) before saying bye to Jim who was taking a second group back up to Darwin while we continued on with Ian. First stop was Picanninny Creek - a walk down a winding track and rocky path, and through a river to reach the lookout over the distinctive Domes. What an awesome sight, so pretty and peaceful - can't really capture it on camera! Hard to believe that the layers of sandstone are formed over thousands of years. Ian told us the reddish areas of rock are where the iron has been exposed to water, turning the stone red, whereas the black areas are impermeable to water, thus staying black.

Walked back along the track to Cathedral Gorge where we waded through a little bit of water and clambered over the rocks to have a very cold swim in the gorge - nice after not being able to shower that morning! Also visited Echidna Chasm round the corner, where we walked through the narrow gaps of the domes - and looked up to see boulders wedged in the gap just above us! We all rushed through just in case they fell!

On to Mini Palms Gorge where we were all pretty tired by now, but had enough energy to make the 5km walk over and around rocks - glad of the hiking boots! The big river rocks are hard on the old feet. Ian found a dead Taipan snake which is one of the most dangerous in the world! Scary stuff! It probably fell off the top of the rocks you could see the bite marks on the back of its neck where it had bitten itself to relieve the pain - ouch. Bumpy ride back to the same campsite and had a nice Irish stew while Ian told us about his strict schedule of how he likes to sett up and clear away the camp. Quite amusing as he is clearly the opposite of laidback Jim! Then early to bed (or should I say tent) after our busy day.

Advertisement



16th November 2007

We miss you!
Can't believe 'little Ellie' is doing all these fantastic things!! Look after yourselves around all those reptiles Rich

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb