More Broome time


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
June 20th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

20th June 2012

We had a great Broome day today. We first went to the internet cafe to do some errands, then headed out to the Malcolm Douglas Wildlife Park. Alex and Kyle really enjoyed holding a baby saltwater crocodile, and watching the tour where the guide fed a number of the large male crocs. It is their inactive season (winter) - they must be quite a sight in summer. Some of them are massive. Interesting OH&S aspects of the egg collection work... We also saw birds, cassowaries, wallabies and dingoes.



In the afternoon we went on a 30 minute camel ride with Broome Camel Safaris. The operator, Alison Bird, has been working with camels for many years. Alex and Kyle had not realised how tall the camels would seem once on them, but enjoyed their ride all the same. The staff took some photos for us. Alex and Kyle then tried out their boogie boards at Cable Beach. We had a message from my parents (aka "Nanna and Pop") to say that they have arrived in Broome, with friends Richard and Marian, to join us on our travels so we went by their caravan park briefly to say hello. Then back to our camper for pizza, homework and bed.



21 June 2012

A lovely quiet Broome day. I did some pilates on the lawn near the camper while the boys looked at hermit crabs in rock pools, then we walked through the old Japanese cemetery. Lots of diving fatalities. After lunch we visited a mango farm and ate mango popsicles and choc dipped frozen mango cheeks, yum! Pity it's not mango season, there are massive mango trees out there and they must have some great crops.



It's Mum's birthday today. We had dinner at Matso's microbrewery to celebrate. I had a tasty beetroot, macadamia and feta salad. Alex and Kyle enjoyed their nuggets, chips and salad and played on a game machine after eating. Mike had the barramundi.



22 June 2012

It was very windy overnight and again this morning. Roebuck Bay is turquoise water covered with white caps. So instead of going to the beach we decided to go to the Broome Museum, a very interesting small museum run by volunteers, and covering a wide ranch of subects that make up Broome's history. We then walked through part of town and looked at the old pearl luggers on display. It was also interesting checking out the staff at the many pearl shops - all bedecked thoroughly in pearls!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Camel riding, Cable BeachCamel riding, Cable Beach
Camel riding, Cable Beach

Broome Camel Safaris


28th June 2012

Great camel pics.
I especially like the one with the shadows on the beach. Looks great fun so far.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb