I leave the West Coast ...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 7th 2005
Published: December 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Broome and on the West Coast, for now anyway... Rich and I went to an excellent crocodile park today where we saw some absolute monsters (5 metres plus) some of which had killed cows and horses so a small lizard like me would have been half a mouthful. They are unbelievable creatures, so prehistoric and pure instinct, they just attack regardless of what you are. The guy showed us how he could throw the same plastic buoy into their pens every day of the year and they will always bite it as it's in their territory, they never learn that it's only a plastic buoy and not to bother... Apparently their brains are only the size of a $1 coin, plus they can survive for 12 months without eating. When they DO eat (as we saw them being fed) it's just a scrawny piece of chicken, feathers and all. They'd LOVE Kentucky Fried Chicken as the quality looked about the same. No wonder they want to chomp on someone's leg when they get the chance. It's amazing how they can lurk in really shallow water, even though they're huge. At one point the guy pointed to a small pool near the fence and asked if there was a croc in it, we all said no, as it seemed so small and we were all looking into the main pool for one. He threw the plastic buoy into the small pool and all of a sudden this huge bloody thing came lunging out!! We all shat our pants!!! "Remember it's not the crocodiles you can see, but the ones you CAN'T see that are really dangerous!" I was like, thanks i'll remember that - get me out of this country NOW!

It was eventually time for me to leave the lovely Broome and "Wijffie" Rich and fly to Melbourne. Really sad to say goodbye at the airport as we've had such a good laugh together and of course I won't see him for a very long time as he flies back to Holland in a couple of weeks. But such is the life of a flashpacker (he he :-) and i was off again - this time to Melbourne via Darwin on the red eye, arriving at about 5:15am in Melbourne....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb