25th October 2010 - Monday


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
October 25th 2010
Published: October 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Monday 25th October 2010, Today woke to windy conditions and so the best plan was to head for the hills. Drove north to The Stirling National Park in the hope that we would see some native wild flowers in bloom. Trees became stunted and the scrub was quite dense with sand everywhere. Very short crops were struggling either side of the road the closer we got to the national park. From a distance the Stirling ranges seemed to emerge from nowhere, beautiful blue hills, but covered in thick scraggy, stunted bush and loads of grass trees. There were lots of wild flowers but we were too late to see this year's native orchids of which apparently there are hundreds in the Stirling ranges. The season is too dry and already too hot for them to bloom now. We did identify from our wildflower book, the stirling bottle brush. It was 23 degrees, not too hot but the flies were annoying and we have seen people with fly nets on their hats. In summer Albany is supposed to be pretty horrible for flies.
Ian thinks we should climb the Bluff Knoll, which is the highest peak in the ranges - My legs are already aching from the thought of it. Apparently it is all stairs and should take us 3 hours. At the top it gives you a magnificent view all around. Our view today was pretty amazing to the North West taking in summer crop colours. We drove back through the national park where an occasional gully allowed a White or Red Gum to reach some height but this was only in little pockets. Our return drive took us through Mt Baker and another of the many SomethingerotherUP towns. If you have ever been to WA every second town ends in UP... Cowaramup, Nannup, Manjirup, Barrinyup, Karrinyup etc, etcup.
Celebrations today as the Title deeds for Lynches Road have been found and we officially handed it over!! Thank goodness.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

WA safety sign WA safety sign
WA safety sign

Another sign on wearing a seat belt!!
Stirling Ranges Stirling Ranges
Stirling Ranges

This looks a bit like NSW
The Bluff KnollThe Bluff Knoll
The Bluff Knoll

Ian is really keen to climb this - I am not so sure...
View from half way up Bluff KnollView from half way up Bluff Knoll
View from half way up Bluff Knoll

View to the North West over crops
Eucalyptus in BloomEucalyptus in Bloom
Eucalyptus in Bloom

The native bees loved these


4th November 2010

Cool
How cool it must be. The safety signs are awkward, but still awesome and SCARY!
4th November 2010

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can tell your having a great time and lots of fun!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb