Kyabram 2003


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
June 16th 2003
Published: June 16th 2003
Edit Blog Post

16 June 2003
From time to time I find myself in a town that I have not visited before and that’s good. On the other hand because I have been with this company so many years its inevitable, return trips to areas are becoming more normal. The first year is great because I can explore places of interest. Some are worth a return visit but most are not. Once the morning session is finished, I find myself in front of the TV and believe me there is little that interest me there.
I still enjoy travelling to these country towns and sometimes stop to capture on film part of country life. On this trip to Kyabram I passed an old deserted hotel near the town of Murchison and got some good shots before getting on with the journey.
I stay in a range of different motels, take this one in Kyabram. The room is small and fairly basic but the owners are friendly as is their small Scotty dog, which greeted me as I got out of the car and then he escorted me to the reception when I booked in.
No room service in this motel that meant dinner was at the local pub. I was the first to order, sat down next to the open fire that gave off a warm glow and I appreciated its warmth. It didn’t take long for my meal to arrive. When I left half an hour later there were three extra couples waiting to eat.

17 June 2003
A small group of inquisitive children gathered around me as I got my equipment ready. Lots of questions; why do you have an umbrella inside and what is doing on your big light? Everybody wanted to be next to me and I was constantly tripping over a child, until I was rescued by the teacher who put up a barrier and instructed the children not to cross over.
What I find happens so often, is that the very young children are very unsure when a stranger walks through the door. They have been conditioned to except women but not men in their room. Which is good for their well-being but not good for a male photographer. When I get good smiles from a baby I’m most surprised.
Children in the toddler’s room are slightly better. Its not until I start working with the kindergarten children, do I meet children who don’t mind you walking into their environment. All the above I encountered in this centre. The stress of getting good photos only lasts about three hours but when I walk out of the centre I’m exhausted.
In the afternoon I visited the local Fauna Park. I had been to this attraction a few years before and noticed not much had changed. I spent some time with the video camera and the afternoon past before I knew it. I went back to the Albion Hotel for dinner and had the Bistro to myself again.

18 June 2003
I was at the centre by nine-thirty and a repeat of yesterdays questions from the new children were voiced. My first shots in the babies room was nothing to be excited about and the older children also weren’t much to talk about.
There were two children arriving after lunch, so after an hours break at the motel I returned to meet the new children. One small girl was friendly and I had no problems getting the required shots. The older boy was really hard; I took a number of so-so shots then sat down beside him and started a conversation about his favourite toy that he wouldn’t let out of his hand. As if by magic, I gained his trust and the next half a dozen shots were all with a big smile. Only minutes before I was ready to give up and walk off.
One more night in Kyabram then back to Melbourne after tomorrow mornings session.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb