Great Ocean Road Day 4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
February 9th 2020
Published: February 9th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Water pumpWater pumpWater pump

One of scores seen this morning near Warrnambool.
GOR Day 4

The forecast is a bit cooler today with a temperature of 22 degrees. How will we survive? As it happened it turned out to be nearer 30 and Bill now has some serious tanning marks on his arms, and a rash on his legs, no doubt from the flies we encountered at the lookout points.
First job today was to stock up with emergency rations in case cafes are a bit scarce on this journey. So to ’Coles’ we went in force.
Now then. Did I mention the wind? The wind, the wind. The normal prevailing wind is a westerly. Can you guess which way it was blowing today? You have it in one - yes straight in our face. The first few miles were quite pleasant despite the heavy winds of 25 mph. However, the route then took us away from the coast and all we got was hard work and the odd bit of dusty road, some of which had just been watered resulting in a few getting splattered in mud. Not that we ever get that at home. Eventually we came across the Bay of Islands lookout post and saw some amazing rock formations
on the coast and just out in the sea. We went to every lookout and took some amazing photos in perfect conditions. Lunch was had at the transport cafe in Nullawarre, that mistakenly called itself a restaurant. Two guys pulled up in a Ute and went in with bare feet. I thought I had arrived in India. The next food stop was in Peterborough at a small cafe where we had coffee and Magnum Ice Creams - just in case. After a few more hills and a desire to end the toil we arrived in Port Campbell at 4.30 ready for a shower and a well deserved rest. NB. Some racing snakes arrived much sooner and will be summoned to lead us out tomorrow and protect us from the wind until they fall down exhausted. The accommodation at the Southern Ocean Motor Inn is very pleasant with good rooms and an good view of the sea inlet. Good meal overlooking this same piece of water and a brilliant red sunset. I was thinking this was a good sign for tomorrow but look at the forecast and see rain and the same wind. We will see but it would be unfortunate not to get a good view of the 22 Apostles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement







Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb