Beesting, pommes and more Ozzy cowboys


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Shepparton
April 18th 2011
Published: May 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Rodeo madness 82 secs
So after the fun-packed weekend we thought that we may go into some sense of normality but no! Monday brought Pommey Jo Sheppard (who moved here from the UK with her hubby Martin and kids Molly and Lucy 3 years ago) and kids were staying for the whole of the Easter break. We hit it off straight away; Jo had such a mucky sense of humour just like us, so it’s fair to say we had a laugh or 3.

Tuesday; Bobby Swan a friend of Debbie & Padge (D & P) true to his promise came to pick me and Dim up for a day touring around the bush; it was a great day and Bobby was so funny without even knowing it. We visited bush, rivers, a cemetery, a muster station (a place where cattle are gathered on horseback annually for maintenance and local bushmen would help with the gathering which, the government has now stopped much to the locals dismay), the Barma forest, and his aunt’s aviary and went see the best shed in the world! That night at the campfire we met Jennifer and her 2 children Kate and Julia who had been horse riding in the morning; they were a lovely family and the 2 girls belted out some amazing songs. Jennifer offered to take me to visit Ramsey Street when we go to Melbourne so we will have to take her up on the offer much to Dim’s delight!.

On Wednesday we went horse riding; I did the canter every time and apparently much better than last time so that gave me more confidence on Gypsy the horse I rode. That night at the campfire we were joined by some more people a Fiddler woman came to the bonfire; she had been riding earlier and played the fiddle, so a different instrument at the fire tonight. We stayed up a while talking to her and the guys she had come with.

The next day after helping out with the horses etc we decided to walk into Strathmerton, Jo was going in later and said she would collect us; we set off with a picnic of noodles, we got about 8km away and were flagging; we were hoping and praying that Jo would come and as if the wish had been granted she did; great! We had tea and cake in the café
KoalaKoalaKoala

We went for a walk and saw a real life Koala in the wild it was ace
and Jo introduced us to a cake in Oz called Beesting; we need to get this in England! More people arrived to stay over Easter and Friday even more people came; we managed to get another horse ride before they did which was again great. We went to Strathy café for Fish and Chips with the Sheppards now including Jo’s husband Martin who arrived this morning. We had a few chilled beers tonight but it was very busy around the fire! Dim went riding next morning (the less advanced riders were on the horses that were suitable for me!!) I went to the Canter gully and took some pictures of him riding.

We were just spending time at the camp when I received some bad news from home about my Dad, I spent the rest of the night on the phone to home and insurance companies and was feeling upset and unsettled. Although there was a big party going on, I didn’t feel like joining in so we had an early night..

After a bike ride the next day just the 2 of us my head was a lot clearer and I felt a bit better; Jo and Dim had organized to cheer me up by taking me to the rodeo that we wanted to go to but didn’t think we would be. The rodeo was absolutely fantastic; everything that I imagined and such a good atmosphere; we bumped into Mick and Di and sat at the front with them for a while – an un-expected really good night.

An uncertain end to a week on the farm with D&P….



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Dim and Bobby SwanDim and Bobby Swan
Dim and Bobby Swan

He took us out for a day around the bush teaching us a thing or 2; he was hilarious.
Muster StationMuster Station
Muster Station

Horsemen used to go out to the bush and gather cattle and do maintenance on them; this was controversially stopped last year which most of the locals we met are less than happy about.
Best shed in the worldBest shed in the world
Best shed in the world

Bobby took us around to see his friend who had made his shed into an American style bar it was amazing.
Me. Moll and Lucy..Me. Moll and Lucy..
Me. Moll and Lucy..

loved these kids xx
Breakfast..Breakfast..
Breakfast..

over the fire; it tasted great.
Pommey Jo..Pommey Jo..
Pommey Jo..

covering her face after dropping yet another in-appropriate joke!!
SnakeSnake
Snake

I got out to get a closer look but Jo wouldn't let me get very far, apparently this was a Tiger snake that is poisonous.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb