Childers Cove to Port Fairy Folk Festival


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Fairy
May 9th 2017
Published: November 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

,Colin and I broke camp early as the cloud laden skies were threatening to drench us. So after a quick breakfast we started the days ride. Its amazing how fickle the weather could be from one day to the next, gone was the warm sunshine tailwind of yesterday, today would prove very challenging. Today we would battle a fierce headwind that would fight us all day. We only traveled about 8 ks before the rain set in. It truly was cold wet and miserable riding, we headed for a tiny country school, where the teacher took great pity upon us and offered the shelter of the schools shelter shed. We were so happy to get out of the rain and that bloody cold wind, change into some dry clothes, boil the billy for a welcome coffee, a hot snack and wait out the storm. When it finally cleared up enough to ride we found a town only 3 ks' down the road called Allansford, where there is a big cheese factory with tastings and sales to the public. Because it was such a rotten day for riding, we decided we would afford the luxury of dining in. We sat ourselves down at the tables and sampled some very nice cheeses, washed down with a hot chocolate. Belly's full and rain easing we set off again, yes we were 'riders on the storm'.

Shortly after, we came across a very welcome Blue Stop sign (Fosters Lager sign), atop the hotel, a beacon and command for all weary travelers to stop and imbibe the golden amber liquid. We locked and parked the bikes outside the pub, and like bears to the honey pot, we entered this Shangrila. How could we resist a very inviting log fire, a few beers, hot meal. Like brave Ulysses, we were captivated under the spell of Beer sirens softly singing. We warmed ourselves by the fire, chatted to the locals, all the while knowing we had to make some serious miles, to get to Port Fairy. With the day getting on and not many miles covered, with great reluctance, once again we mounted our trusty 2 wheeled steeds, and 'manned up' to battle the bloody horrid headwind and gnarly rain. The headwind was so strong we were down to 5 ks an hour on the flat!, man it was hard riding. We eventually met Kirk at the Warnambool post Office, but he was ready to sprint to meet Bruno at Port Fairy. Colin and I had such a tough day riding, we took a well earned break with a hot lunch, before pushing on the road to Port Fairy. Along the way Colin was eager to rediscover Tower Hill, an extinct volcano which is said to have gone bang about 32,000 years ago. 4kms wide and 80 metres high, it features spectacular volcanic landscape with great flora and fauna biodiversity. After riding tough for 60 kms we soon rode through the village of Kororoit and still another 20 ks to go, before the run down at sundown into Port Fairy Caravan park.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb