Lorne to Kennet River via Erskine Falls


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Fairy
April 14th 2017
Published: May 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to storm clouds closing in, so we packed up our dewy tents on the beach and broke camp early, as the local surfers were suiting up to hang ten on the waves. We headed into Lorne to stock up on breakfast, to fuel us up for the days ride.Our destination today is further down the Great Ocean Road to Wye River. As we tackled the small climb out of Lorne, disaster struck for Bruno as his cluster on his rear derailer had completely stripped. Bruno decided to lock his bike at the hotel, and hitch with his back wheel all the way back to Geelong to buy a new rear wheel cluster, Two things will guarantee a hitcher a ride, a jerry can or a bike wheel. We wished him well. The three cyclateers shelved Wye River and decided to do a day trip up to Erskine Falls, just outside of Lorne. These are spectacular falls, I visited with my family many years ago, I was looking forward to seeing them again. With the storm clouds clearing, we pedaled hard for 10 ks. up the plateau to the base of the falls, yes the base of the falls! The viewing area of these falls is actually at the bottom of a very long drop into a steep gorge studded with massive rocks and giant tree ferns, well worth a visit. After taking a few snaps and checking out the falls, we climbed back up to the car park, where we made a lunch of egg noodles, carrots and cumin spice. We chatted to some other touros, who like many others were amazed at our adventure. With time getting away we descended back down the plateau to Lorne It was an exhilarating ride, our first big descent for the trip. We made for the hotel and were surprised to find Bruno, with a new 5 speed cluster, remember what I said about the bike wheel and hitching. It obviously worked both to and from Geelong. With dusk closing in fast and no time to cook in the dark further down the road, we pigged out on a huge plate of fish and chips.In the fading light, we saddled up and headed out of town to find a roadside camp just past Kennet river, After a days ride of 51 kms, Colin and I found a neat little grassy roadside clearing with good distance from the passing night traffic. After shaking half the beach out of our still wet tents, we pitched our one man cocoon tents on the grass. Riding all day under an overcast sky with drizzly rain, it was time to boil the billy on our one pot gas burners for a well earned hot cuppa. We had just enough time for a late night jam before turning in for another blissful night of ocean slumber. .Kirk and Bruno decided to travel a bit further down the road as there wasn't enough room for four bikes and tents in our little neck of the woods. We would catch up with them in the morning to tackle day four. The weather today was overcast and drizzle. ..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb