Day 20


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Fairy
February 26th 2011
Published: February 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Griffith IslandGriffith IslandGriffith Island

The Light house on Griffith Island
We had a great sleep and decided to have poached eggs on toast for breakfast, how good is this caravan life?
We had chosen to do a loop tour from Port Fairy to Koroit, reported as an Irish village, It was settled by Irish immigrants to be tenant farmers on a 5600 acre holding bought for $2/acre, the town was laid out after a few years on crown land to allow for a commerce centre for the area.
Maybe we were expecting a little to much, because at 9:30am we drove into the village and it was still asleep with no real Irish influence to be seen nor for that matter any shops open apart from the newsagent.
We drove to Tower Hill which is just out of town and found a nice vista overlooking an extinct volcano. Great view and interesting geographic feature.
We spoke to a Solo female caravanneer, who explained she was on her own doing the caravan trips because 2-3 years ago herself and her husband had bought the 4x4 and van and 3 days later he dropped dead. She decided to get on with what they had planned for many years.
A brave but determined soul.
One of the ResidentsOne of the ResidentsOne of the Residents

A Wallaby enjoying the food on Griffith Island

From here we drove to Warrnambool, we managed t do some shopping for essentials and a trip through Bunnings with a trip back to Port Fairy, in time to do a walking tour of Griffith Island, a nesting place for the shearwaters that migrate from Alaska to Australia every year. An amazing round trip to the nesting ground they breed,and continue the cycle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The much travelled residentsThe much travelled residents
The much travelled residents

One of the much travelled Shearwaters (Muttn Birds) that travel extrodinary distances each year to migrate from Alaska to Australia to breed
The Nesting groundsThe Nesting grounds
The Nesting grounds

A view back over the nesting grounds to the llighthouse at the end of the island


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb