Day 8/3 - Historic Rushworth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Murchison
December 5th 2020
Published: December 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Kirwan's BridgeKirwan's BridgeKirwan's Bridge

The Bend in the Bridge
We were in no rush this morning. After deciding on our day's ride last night, Jeff threw up many more options this morning vasilating this way and that before settling back on the original route to Rushworth with a slight twist going the back way around Reedy Lake.
The Saturday market in Nagambie provided an opportunity to pick up some fresh fruit before we started on our days short 31km journey.
A short ride out of Nagambie we crossed the Goulbourn River for the last time across Kirwan's bridge. A magnificent wooden bridge with a bend in the middle. Built in 1890 it originally had two lanes but has only one now. The gaps between the sleepers meant we had to walk the bikes across but it was a great start to our day.
Just up the road we took our detour onto the dirt. For the most part it was actually quite good, but it did have a section of about 1km of corrigations which wasn't much fun.
Lots of lightly treed farmland flanked us on both sides as we trundled along. At Whroo we entered the largest Ironbark forrest in the world (according to local
Kirwan's BridgeKirwan's BridgeKirwan's Bridge

Crossing the Goulburn for the last time
identity Wiki-Jeff) which is world heratige listed. Magnificent old trees stretching upward with their seemingly claw ravaged bark on disply.
At Whroo is the remains of the Balaclava opencut goldmine where gold was discovered on a hill in 1854. At times there were upto 9000 people mining in the area. Now all that remains is a massive hole in the ground with shafts running in at all angles.
Not long after Whroo we hit the bitumen again, a nice relief from the constant vibration of the dirt. From here it was casual 5kms into Rushworth just in time for lunch at the local bakery.
Jeff's sister Sue-Anne has recently opened a business in Rushworth and has a house she and her husband are setting up as a B&B. Jeff and I had the honour of being it's first guests so we are living like kings for the night.
Our timing into Rusworth was perfect as not long after the cool change blew through with some force and then steady rain has fallen most of the afternoon, glad we didn't have to ride through that. We've gone shopping and will cook up a feast tonight.
Tomorrow's destination is another short day of about 60kms to Shepparton via Murchison. I'll let you know tomorrow what we actually do.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Balaclava MineBalaclava Mine
Balaclava Mine

The remains of the open cut mine
RushworthRushworth
Rushworth

The Bandstand in the middle of town


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb